× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I get 1 UPS to shut down Multiple Readynas during a power outage?

miogpsrocks
Tutor

How do I get 1 UPS to shut down Multiple Readynas during a power outage?

I have 1 big UPS connected to several Readynas. 

The UPS has 1 USB cable and is connected to a single Readynas. When the power goes out, its set to shut down via the software however the other readynas remain running. 

How can I get that Single UPS to shut down all the readynas? 

1. Would this work on some kind of USB splitter? 

2. Is there a way I can get one Readynas to act as a server and via the network shut down the other Readynas? 

I lookup the settings however it seem like its expecting to communicate directly to a networked UPS rather than another readynas connected to a UPS. 

How can I get all readynas to shut down during a power outage? 

Thanks. 

Model: RNDP600E (ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition)|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: How do I get 1 UPS to shut down Multiple Readynas during a power outage?

@miogpsrocks wrote:

Is there a way I can get one Readynas to act as a server and via the network shut down the other Readynas? 

I lookup the settings however it seem like its expecting to communicate directly to a networked UPS rather than another readynas connected to a UPS. 

Yes, you can monitor the ups through one NAS over the network.  Of course you do need to also protect the network path between the NAS.  Connecting them all to a common switch that is powered by the UPS is enough.  You don't need to protect the router.  I recommend using the IP address for this, and not the hostname.  Reserve the IP address in your router if you aren't already doing this (or use static addresses I guess).

Not sure why you are finding the settings confusing. Are you running 4.2.x firmware in your NAS?  If not, what are you running?

4.2.x firmware should have a checkbox on the power tab, saying "Enable monitoring of UPS physically attached to a remote ReadyNAS"  Just put in the IP address of the NAS that is monitoring the UPS.  You will need to enable remote monitoring for the USB-connected NAS.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: How do I get 1 UPS to shut down Multiple Readynas during a power outage?

A USB splitter is not an option, as the communication is bi-directional.  Neither NAS would be able to communicate with it.   So, if one NAS isn't always on to monitor the UPS and broadcast status to the others, then your only other solution is an UPS that has it's own network connection.  I was able to get that working with an Eaton supply and their network MS card, but I can't say what other configurations will work.

With Eaton, however, I much prefer running the Linux version of their Intellegent Power Protector software on the NAS to the NUT included in the NAS OS.  I just wish I could stop NUT from grabbing the USB connection at power-on before IPP can.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements