× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I manage a user's shares and arrange for them to be synced to a remote NAS?

Radjin
Aspirant

How do I manage a user's shares and arrange for them to be synced to a remote NAS?

When logged as Admin how do I manage users shares and arrange for them to be synced to a remote NAS?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: How do I manage a user's shares and arrange for them to be synced to a remote NAS?

Well, you'd manage the shares via the web UI.  That allows you to create or delete them, configure access, snapsot schedules, etc.

You'd sync them to a remote NAS using the built-in backup jobs in the web UI.  Note that this is one-way sync ( https://kb.netgear.com/29788/ReadyNAS-Backup-FAQ ).

Message 2 of 4
Radjin
Aspirant

Re: How do I manage a user's shares and arrange for them to be synced to a remote NAS?

Thank you.  I found the second user’s folder within the home folder but like another folder or share I created I had no settings.  I created a folder outside the home and it had the settings to attach it to the second user and set it up for remote syncing. I’m assuming that is correct?  

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Radjin wrote:

Thank you.  I found the second user’s folder within the home folder but like another folder or share I created I had no settings.  I created a folder outside the home and it had the settings to attach it to the second user and set it up for remote syncing. I’m assuming that is correct?  

The user's "home" folders are private.  They can be backed up, and of course as administrator you can browse them.   I think you could run into file access issues if you attempt to sync a user's home folder to a different user's home folder.  Using shared folders for that is better practice (and it sounds like you are doing that, at least for the destination).

Personally I don't use the home folder feature at all, though it is a useful feature if you have a lot of users and want to offer each their own storage area.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements