× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I restore from external USB drive? [SOLVED]

wwalkersd
Aspirant

How do I restore from external USB drive? [SOLVED]

I have regular Frontview backup jobs backing up all my user folders and shares to an external USB drive. Now I've had to factory default my NAS to get the upgrade to 4.1.8 to work, and I need to restore that backed-up data. But I see no obvious way to do that. There are no "restore" options that I can find, and I haven't found an answer in the FAQ, the manual, or by searching here.

The only thing I can think of is this: do I create a new backup job for each share that backs up _from_ the external drive _to_ the NAS? It seems odd, but it seems like a kind of Unix-y way to do it.
Message 1 of 10
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: How do I restore from external USB drive?

Correct - just "reverse" your existing backup jobs.
Message 2 of 10
wwalkersd
Aspirant

Thanks!
Message 3 of 10
flaminio
Aspirant

Trying to restore -- did a backup from Volume: c to USB device (completed successfully); now trying to do a restore, but "Volume: c" does not appear as an option for the "backup destination" (reversing the previous backup, as indicated in the above posts).

How do I restore the entire "c" volume?
Message 4 of 10
Raaahbin
Aspirant

I note this is marked as "solved", but I am running into this problem as well, and I don't see any solution in the thread. Was there a solution to all the things that are missing from the "destination" list?

I'm currently trying to restore two folders which are *not* shares (one is the timemachine folder, one is the transmission folder)... and as far as I can see, neither "timemachine" nor "volume: c" appear in the destination list... therefore one cannot restore directly to either of those things.

At this point, I'm planning to:

- create temporary shares (because you can restore to a share folder)

- restore to each of those shares

- SSH into the ReadyNAS and manually mv the share directories on top of the actual directories for each of those things

Is that really the best way to do this? It may seem rather "unix-y" to create backup jobs to restore, but making it asymmetrical is very un-unix-y. I can't help but think the folks at Netgear never actually needed to restore their ReadyNAS from a backup!

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I agree the backup job choices should be symmetrical.

If you are planning to use ssh anyway, you can of course simply copy the USB drive folder to the destination folder (even if it is not a share).

If you formatted the drive as NTFS, you can also connect it to a windows PC, access the data volume using admin credentials, and drag/drop the folders as you wish.  Though in this scenario, owner/group will end up admin/admin.

Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You would need to correct the ownership of the TM data back to what it should be.

If we allowed configuring a backup job to restore to the root of the data volume some users may mistakenly wipe all their data on the NAS. We don't want that to happen, so we don't allow that.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

If we allowed configuring a backup job to restore to the root of the data volume some users may mistakenly wipe all their data on the NAS. We don't want that to happen, so we don't allow that.

Then there should be a guide on how to fully restore the NAS from the backup.

Message 8 of 10
DrawsACircle
Tutor

After doing a factory reset on my Ultra 2 (it wouldn't expand after installing a larger HDD, active snapshots - x86, version 4.2.28????) I'm now trying to restore all the data. I've searched for hours, reading the 'How do I recover backed-up data' without realising that I had to do a reverse back-up (skipped the back up part and read bullet number 10: 'press go' considering pressing 'No' to the 'was this answer usefull') - why make it easy???

I now have to spend days recreating the data structure I had this Monday, both due to the 'Snapshot', that I've never activated, didn't know it was a feature in the x86 4.2.27 Radiator software - the only message I got was that I had to disable Snapshots to expand the drives in the NAS - but HOW???? (you should try it).

Then doing a factory reset having to, manually, do a restore to the c folder on the NAS.

That's SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH guys!!!!.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@DrawsACircle wrote:

didn't know it (snapshot) was a feature in the x86 4.2.27

I'll leave it to others to respond to the main thrust of your post.

But I will say that snapshots were available in 4.2.x and 4.1.x and are described in the software manuals for both platforms.  There were issues with some aspects - particularly snapshot resizing, which broke long ago.  And truthfully, I've never run across the admin setting to fully disable them either.  There is a snapshot schedule (see the tab on the volume settings), and of course you can enable/disable that.

OS 6 snapshots are very different (and in my opinion more useful).

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements