× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I update firmware and should I?

GavinMerwin
Aspirant

How do I update firmware and should I?

Hi! 

We use a ReadyNAS 102 for our network storage. On the systems tab on the Admin page under Firmware, it says I am using version 6.2.4. There is a blue hyperlink to check for update but when I click it, nothing happens. I see on the downloads page on the support website that OS6 has a version 6.9.5 out. 

My question is do I use the download that says (arm) or (x86) and secondly, once I download the file, how do I install it on the NAS. Will this update effect any of my network drive mapping or user experiences? 

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @GavinMerwin

Welcome to the Community!

Are you connected on the Internet? This might be due to the current version that you have. For RN100 series you will have to follow a certain update path.

You can check it here.

*Warnings:

• Devices updated with 6.9.5 firmware should not be downgraded to firmware versions before 6.9.0.
  • ReadyNAS 102, 104, and 2120 must not be updated directly to 6.9.x from 6.3.x or older firmware.  They must first be updated to either 6.2.5 or 6.3.5 then to 6.5.2 and then onto 6.9.x.
  • ReadyNAS 202, 204, 212 and 212 must not be updated directly to 6.9.x from 6.3.x. They must first be updated to 6.3.5 then 6.5.2 and then onto 6.9.x.

You can download versions 6.2.5 or 6.3.5 and 6.5.2 here then you can update to 6.9.5 via the check for update button or by downloading the file as well.

Yes, you will have to download the (ARM) version and upload it on the NAS. Here is the guide for updating your ReadyNAS through the Admin page. There shouldn't be any effect on the mapping and user experience should be better due to the update.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @GavinMerwin

Welcome to the Community!

Are you connected on the Internet? This might be due to the current version that you have. For RN100 series you will have to follow a certain update path.

You can check it here.

*Warnings:

• Devices updated with 6.9.5 firmware should not be downgraded to firmware versions before 6.9.0.
  • ReadyNAS 102, 104, and 2120 must not be updated directly to 6.9.x from 6.3.x or older firmware.  They must first be updated to either 6.2.5 or 6.3.5 then to 6.5.2 and then onto 6.9.x.
  • ReadyNAS 202, 204, 212 and 212 must not be updated directly to 6.9.x from 6.3.x. They must first be updated to 6.3.5 then 6.5.2 and then onto 6.9.x.

You can download versions 6.2.5 or 6.3.5 and 6.5.2 here then you can update to 6.9.5 via the check for update button or by downloading the file as well.

Yes, you will have to download the (ARM) version and upload it on the NAS. Here is the guide for updating your ReadyNAS through the Admin page. There shouldn't be any effect on the mapping and user experience should be better due to the update.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

And, YES, you absolutely should update.  A lot has changed since 6.2.x.  And you should probably figure out why it's not showing an update available, as it should have been telling you all along that updates are available (even without manually checking).

I purchased a used NAS with very old firmware and the automatic update path took me through the proper intermediate steps.  So, the warning is really only there for those who update via download.

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I'd recommend backing up the NAS first.  There is another potential issue that you could run into even if you follow the right upgrade path.  https://kb.netgear.com/29974/ReadyNAS-OS-6-RN100-RN2120-cannot-update-due-to-invalid-checksum

But you should definitely do the updates.  While the check-for-update procedure should lead you down the correct path, you should manually verify that before you go forward with the updates.

@Sandshark wrote:

And you should probably figure out why it's not showing an update available, as it should have been telling you all along that updates are available (even without manually checking).

If you use static IP addresses, then the most likely reason is that you failed to configure a DNS server for the NAS.

Message 4 of 12
GavinMerwin
Aspirant

Hi @Marc_V and thanks for the info! I came in today to do the update, but the challenge I'm running into is that the furthest back on the download page is 6.4.2? So, how do I download 6.3.5 to download and to then go to 6.5.2 and then 6.9.5? 

So, I need the download for 6.3.5.

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS Remote|
Message 5 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Actually, you want 6.2.5 (ReadyNAS-OS-Version-6-2-5-RN102-RN104-Only).  6.3.5 is for the 200 series only.

Message 6 of 12
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @GavinMerwin

@Sandshark is correct 6.2.5 is for RN100 series only and you can get it here.

After updating to 6.2.5 you can go straight to 6.5.2 and update to 6.9.5. I would still advised making a complete backup before doing any updates.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 7 of 12
GavinMerwin
Aspirant

Hi @Marc_V  and @Sandshark ... I came in today to upgrade the firmware. I am now at 6.2.4 and downloaded the ARM file you sent me for 6.2.5. I received a server error (see attached screenshot when I click upload after browsing the file). The check for update button doesn't work and I can't get the alert emails to setup so I'm not sure if it's connected. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@GavinMerwin wrote:

I received a server error (see attached screenshot when I click upload after browsing the file).

Try rebooting. The firmware will likely finish installing when you do that.

Message 9 of 12
GavinMerwin
Aspirant

@StephenB Thanks for the tip, I thought that worked but it's not. So when I logged back into the admin portal, it gave me a message that 6.2.5 would be installed upon reboot. I clicked rebot. I get loading screen. When the NAS comes back up, it's still on the admin page for 6.2.4 and then pops up the same message to reboot. Do I need to physically turn power off to the NAS and back on or what? It seems I'm stuck in a cycle...

After Reboot Loading Screen.JPGNAS Reboot 2.JPGNAS Reboot.JPG

Message 10 of 12
GavinMerwin
Aspirant

Someone private messaged me this... where do I type that into and what is this referencing?

If you have SSH access you could do
# rm /etc/.flash_update
Note don’t copy and paste the # as that would comment out the line.
Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@GavinMerwin wrote:
where do I type that into and what is this referencing?

If you have SSH access you could do
# rm /etc/.flash_update
Note don’t copy and paste the # as that would comment out the line.

You'd enable ssh on the NAS (system->services), and then enter this into the linux command line interface.

For instance, if you use windows 10 you could enter "ssh root@nas-ip-address" from the windows search bar - using the real NAS ip address - and then enter enter the NAS admin password.  Then enter this command without the #.

If you are a mac user, you can similarly use terminal.  If you use older versions of windows you can use a freeware utility called "putty".

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements