× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How does NAS DLNA streaming server get discovered?

shem1
Aspirant

How does NAS DLNA streaming server get discovered?

Hi all,
New to the forum so I hope you can help.
I've changed this post a little as I have discovered some more information

I've recently bought some new toys, ReadyNas Duo, Samsung UA32D5000 32" Series 5 LED TV
During the set up and playing with it I have discovered that once my DLNA shares are all ready and I turn the TV on, it doesn't see any server. If (while the TV is on) I tell the NAS to update the share index, my TV detects the streaming server and I can watch content.
Once the TV is turned off and back on, the readynas streaming server is no longer available and I need to perform another re-index. Clearly something is going wrong, I'm sure I shouldn't have to do the step each time I turn on the TV.

It turns out that after a period of time (somewhere around 10mins?) then the streaming server is discovered.
Does anybody know if this discovery is search driven by the TV, or announcement driven by the NAS. i.e, does the TV say, who is a server?, or does the NAS say I'm a server. If it is the later, can I increase the frequency of how often the readynas announces the service.

Thanks
Message 1 of 3
shem1
Aspirant

Finding out more,
I did a back up of the NAs and had a look at the files,
in minidlna.confg I found this
# notify interval in seconds. default is 30 seconds.
notify_interval=900

Default 30? But set to 900 = 15 mins.
Found my culprit I think. I have no idea how this value got set to 15min, or why. I figure I can change it two ways, edit the backup then restore it. Or ssh on to the nas and edit from there.
First however, this post (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=27946) refers to newer versions of the add-on. Latest ReadyDLNA Standard Update Addon Package (1.0.21), my version is v1.0.18.2 .
I think an upgrade first
Message 2 of 3
shem1
Aspirant

Problem solved, and in the best way possible (I figured it out)
Yes notify_interval=900 = 15 mins was way too high for my purpose. Ran update as per previous post, which may have update binary but did not alter that line in the config file. I ssh'ed on to nas (after installed the add-on that allows root ssh) and used vi to edit file.
current setting is 30 seconds.
TV off, TV on <30second Streaming.
bingo

Hope this helps others
Shem
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements