× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How often do people switch their ReadyNAS off

Bob_Mcbob
Aspirant

How often do people switch their ReadyNAS off

This maybe a stupid question, I have searched before asking and couldn't see a definitive answer...

Is it wrong of me to switch my ReadyNAS duo off when not in use.

E.g. once I've watched a few shows off it and finish for the night, I often switch it off since I don't know when I will use it again (could be tomorrow or in a week or twos time)

Could switching it on and off a lot cause any issues?
Does leaving it on use a lot of power hence cost me money?

thanks alot
Message 1 of 8
fastfwd
Virtuoso

According to Netgear's documentation, the Duo draws only 12W when idle with the disks spun down; that's less than 10 kWh per month. Even in my area, where electricity is very expensive at approximately 20 cents per kilowatt-hour, leaving a Duo on continuously would cost less than $2.00 per month.
Message 2 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

I think it makes absolute sense to power off during zero use periods. I've been doing this for the last 7 years with readynas units and never had any problems. Power consumption if left on is pretty low but it's not zero.

I think it really depends on usage patterns rather than any other concerns about power cycling the unit.
Message 3 of 8
Bob_Mcbob
Aspirant

thanks for your replies, I was switching it on and off perhaps 2-3 times a week sometimes as I'm just used to switching things off when not in use, but perhaps that is rather excessive for a NAS! Its also nice to hear that its so cheap to run, if its less then £2 for me a month that's better then I thought!!

thanks a lot guys and have a good Christmas!
Message 4 of 8
markwoll
Guide

My NV+ has been on the power timer for 4 years. It starts up around 5pm and shuts off around 11 m-f and starts earlier and stays on later on the weekend.
If I take a day off and need it. On it goes.
When we are out of town, the UPS gets shut down.
No problems, and save a bit of energy.

mark
Message 5 of 8
InTheShires
Tutor

Mine are in constant use never getting turned off.

They power cycle once a week.
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

I leave mine on, but use disk spindown (60 minute threshold) - except for the RN102 of course which doesn't have that feature yet.
Message 7 of 8
Etz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well I personally, switch it of only for maintenance (so far, only for cleaning, once a year), I dont use Disk SpinDown either...
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements