× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to Mirror Files/Folders from Main Readynas RN314 to backup RN316

mathiourose
Aspirant

How to Mirror Files/Folders from Main Readynas RN314 to backup RN316

Hi I have a main readynas RN314 and would like to back it up to a) a RN316 on the same network and b) a RN316 in another location. I just want the 2 RN316's to be exact copies of the RN314. So far I have been using Chronosync (in mirror left->right mode)  - but for some reason its become very slow. 

Ideally I would like it to be automated and when then NAS's are online (the two 316s are not on all the time). I have used the backup function to create a full copy so far, but am looking for a way that can quickly do an incremental backup of only the files that have changed. I was thinking to use the built in backup function (or Rsync) along with on/off timing of the NAS's, however, I am not clear if the backups will be incremental vs full each time.

Any support appreciated. 

Thanks a lot.

Jonathan

ps: I have the backup NAS's as when I have upgraded memory storage I have moved disks from the 314..... 

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to Mirror Files/Folders from Main Readynas RN314 to backup RN316

@mathiourose wrote:

but am looking for a way that can quickly do an incremental backup of only the files that have changed. I was thinking to use the built in backup function (or Rsync) along with on/off timing of the NAS's, however, I am not clear if the backups will be incremental vs full each time.

Rsync backups are incremental by default  - meaning that they only backup changed files.  They do back up the entire file when it changes (and entire folders when they are renamed or moved).  You can create a mirror of the main NAS if you use the backup option to delete files in the destination that are no longer on the source.

Snapshots won't be mirrored (and aren't mirrored with your current technique either).  Personally I use rsync backup jobs (one for each share), and combine that with snapshots on the destination NAS.  That gives me some ability to roll-back older versions on the backup if that is needed.  I use custom snapshots with 3 months retention for that.

Rsync isn't secure, so you will want to run rsync over ssh over the internet connection (assuming no VPN connection to the remote site). 

You might also want to disable AFP, SMB, and NFS on the two backup NAS - reducing the odds of malware directly infecting them.  I run daily backups - I will miss some stuff if the main NAS fails, but on the other hand I have more time to take the backup systems offline if ransomware were to hit the main NAS.  In your case you could reduce the backup frequency on the remote NAS to accomplish something similar.

FWIW, ReadyDR is also versioned and incremental - and operates at the block level, so it can be more efficient than Rsync.  However, it doesn't create a mirror.  The back up repositories need to be restored before they can be accessed.  I do want a mirror, so I can cut over to a backup NAS quickly - so I've chosen to stick with rsync.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to Mirror Files/Folders from Main Readynas RN314 to backup RN316

@mathiourose wrote:

but am looking for a way that can quickly do an incremental backup of only the files that have changed. I was thinking to use the built in backup function (or Rsync) along with on/off timing of the NAS's, however, I am not clear if the backups will be incremental vs full each time.

Rsync backups are incremental by default  - meaning that they only backup changed files.  They do back up the entire file when it changes (and entire folders when they are renamed or moved).  You can create a mirror of the main NAS if you use the backup option to delete files in the destination that are no longer on the source.

Snapshots won't be mirrored (and aren't mirrored with your current technique either).  Personally I use rsync backup jobs (one for each share), and combine that with snapshots on the destination NAS.  That gives me some ability to roll-back older versions on the backup if that is needed.  I use custom snapshots with 3 months retention for that.

Rsync isn't secure, so you will want to run rsync over ssh over the internet connection (assuming no VPN connection to the remote site). 

You might also want to disable AFP, SMB, and NFS on the two backup NAS - reducing the odds of malware directly infecting them.  I run daily backups - I will miss some stuff if the main NAS fails, but on the other hand I have more time to take the backup systems offline if ransomware were to hit the main NAS.  In your case you could reduce the backup frequency on the remote NAS to accomplish something similar.

FWIW, ReadyDR is also versioned and incremental - and operates at the block level, so it can be more efficient than Rsync.  However, it doesn't create a mirror.  The back up repositories need to be restored before they can be accessed.  I do want a mirror, so I can cut over to a backup NAS quickly - so I've chosen to stick with rsync.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements