× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to RSync 2 ReadyNas Duo

Philip_77
Aspirant

How to RSync 2 ReadyNas Duo

Hi,
I have to ReadyNas Duo. I would like to rsync one of their HDs at regulat intervals, so that they are always the same.

How to I rsync? Can this be done via the internet?
Message 1 of 13
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Message 2 of 13
Philip_77
Aspirant

"instructions" is a little generous. 3 sentences of which I only understand 1.

Pretty much same goes for the handbook, which I previously checked:

To access shares using Rsync:
Ensure that the Rsync file-sharing protocol is enabled on your ReadyNAS storage
system. It is.

On a network-attached device that supports the Rsync file-sharing protocol, launch a
terminal program or an Rsync client. Whats a terminal Program or where do I get an rsync client? Are we talking putty here?
Enter any required credentials for the share. And what would those be? "\\WW_NAS_II\media"?

Isnt there an instruction for idiots?
Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

You have 2 Duo's which already support rsync, so step 2 doesn't apply.

I have duo v1 rsync back-up jobs set up for each share (using a pro-6 as the source fwiw).

The configuration is not difficult. I don't have a v2 NAS, but the configuration is similar on 4.1.x, 4.2.x, and OS6.

Step-1: select remote: rsync server
Host is the other duo (I suggest using its IP address) No slashes or back slashes needed.
path is the share name (no slashes or back slashes needed)
Login/Password of course depends. My systems are set up so I can leave them blank.
Check "remove deleted files on source".

The last option is your preference. If you don't check it, then when file X is deleted on the other duo, it will remain on this one. I want to keep in full sync, so I check it.

Step 2: select the destination share on this Duo

Step 3: set the backup schedule as desired.

Step 4: set "Schedule full backup" to "first time". Do as you wish for alert emails. Leave the two checkboxes unchecked.
Message 4 of 13
Philip_77
Aspirant

Thank you for that!!

Now only one question is left. How would I do this if one NAS were in Germany and the other in Switzerland? I have access to both routers...
Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Philip_77 wrote:
Now only one question is left. How would I do this if one NAS were in Germany and the other in Switzerland? I have access to both routers...

This is quite a bit harder.

There are three approaches:
One is that you deploy DDNS on the source NAS's router, and forward port 873 in that router to the source NAS. Use the DDNS name for the remote server. That is the easiest, but it is not secure at all.

A more secure answer is to get a cert for the source NAS that you also install in the destination NAS. Then you need to use "rsync over ssh" and forward port 22 instead of port 873.

A third secure answer is to upgrade the routers to VPN routers, and join the two networks into a single network using the VPN. Then the original configuration would work. Both locations would have full access to each other's resources (printers, PCs, etc).

EDIT- a fourth approach is replicate
Message 6 of 13
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Adding these as additional options. This is for remote access and offsite backup options.

Since the Duov2 does not support ReadyCloud. You can still try to use the *old* readynas remote service.
Configure>System>Settings>Remote Access.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... -on-remote

the software for Remote is not updated anymore since it is already end of life.

You can also use ReadyNAS Replicate:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... licate-faq
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24586

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... leshooting
Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Readynas remote won't work NAS to NAS.

Replicate would, though of course of course on this platform would be licensed. I'll add that as 4th option.
Message 8 of 13
Philip_77
Aspirant

A third secure answer is to upgrade the routers to VPN routers, and join the two networks into a single network using the VPN. Then the original configuration would work. Both locations would have full access to each other's resources (printers, PCs, etc).

This sounds like its for me. Is "upgrading the routers to VPN" something I can do with any router?
Message 9 of 13
Nhellie
Virtuoso

That actually means that you need to get a router with VPN functionality.
Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Nhellie wrote:
That actually means that you need to get a router with VPN functionality.
Yes. For instance something like this: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-F ... fe+fvs318g
Message 11 of 13
Philip_77
Aspirant

Ok Thank you guys very much!!
Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

On the VPN - Most high-end netgear routers support openvpn (to allow laptops and mobile devices to connect over the internet).

But what you need for this is a VPN tunnel between the routers - which is a somewhat different beast.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements