× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to Rebuild raid?

john_h1
Tutor

How to Rebuild raid?

I had a disk go bad in my rs316 set up as raid x and my volume was put as read only.  I have replaced the faulty drive and now I need to rebuild the raid array to fix up file system problems.  All my data is backed up.

Can I rebuild my raid so all my settings,shares etc are retained?  What are the steps I need to take?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@john_h1 wrote:

I have replaced the faulty drive and now I need to rebuild the raid array to fix up file system problems. 

Just to clarify - the RAID would have automatically been rebuilt when you replaced the drive.  But if you also had file system issues, then rebuilding is probably a good idea.  

To do this, I'd start by noting my settings, and apps that I have installed.  Make sure you still can find the apps, as you will need to reinstall them.  Almost all the settings are restored in the procedure below - but a couple aren't, and I don't recall exactly which.  Focus on the overall system settings (volume, power, etc).  Also, you will almost certainly need to reconfigure the apps (and rebuild plex libraries if you use plex).

After that,

1. save the configuration via system->settings->backup configuration
  2. do the factory default - the control is at the bottom of system->settings->update.
  3. after the default completes, reinstall your apps. 
  4. restore the configuration via system->settings->backup configuration
  5. Optionally check the system and app settings, and manually apply any that were missed.

It's important to reinstall all your current apps before you restore the configuration.  If there are some you don't want to keep, then uninstall them before step 1.

If you use the "home" folders, then you do need to recreate those before you restore the files.  The way to do that is to access the NAS using Windows File Explorer (or finder if you use a Mac) using each user's credentials.  It can also be done using ssh - if you are comfortable with linux commands, then let us know and we can provide the details on that.

Now restore the data from your backup.  Then rebuild any media libraries (plex, dlna, itunes) if you use those apps/services.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@john_h1 wrote:

I have replaced the faulty drive and now I need to rebuild the raid array to fix up file system problems. 

Just to clarify - the RAID would have automatically been rebuilt when you replaced the drive.  But if you also had file system issues, then rebuilding is probably a good idea.  

To do this, I'd start by noting my settings, and apps that I have installed.  Make sure you still can find the apps, as you will need to reinstall them.  Almost all the settings are restored in the procedure below - but a couple aren't, and I don't recall exactly which.  Focus on the overall system settings (volume, power, etc).  Also, you will almost certainly need to reconfigure the apps (and rebuild plex libraries if you use plex).

After that,

1. save the configuration via system->settings->backup configuration
  2. do the factory default - the control is at the bottom of system->settings->update.
  3. after the default completes, reinstall your apps. 
  4. restore the configuration via system->settings->backup configuration
  5. Optionally check the system and app settings, and manually apply any that were missed.

It's important to reinstall all your current apps before you restore the configuration.  If there are some you don't want to keep, then uninstall them before step 1.

If you use the "home" folders, then you do need to recreate those before you restore the files.  The way to do that is to access the NAS using Windows File Explorer (or finder if you use a Mac) using each user's credentials.  It can also be done using ssh - if you are comfortable with linux commands, then let us know and we can provide the details on that.

Now restore the data from your backup.  Then rebuild any media libraries (plex, dlna, itunes) if you use those apps/services.

Message 2 of 4
john_h1
Tutor

ok, thank you for this I will work though the list and report back.

Message 3 of 4
john_h1
Tutor

Ok, I got to the part where I uploaded my backup config file and I get an error as soon as I click "restore"- Unrecognized Server Error 

EDIT: Retried and on the third time it worked.  Now restoring files from backup 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements