× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How-to: Setup multi-Mac backup shares with quotas. Easy.

Grif1
Aspirant

Hi Eric,
Tired this but alas won't work and still get the Error. Here's what I chucked into the .AppleVolumes file:
"/c/home/Mark" "Mark" cnidscheme:dbd allow:Mark options:tm

Where the name of user is "Mark"
Message 51 of 65
Grif1
Aspirant

however, I do see you're using a different ReadyNAS than mine 🙂
Message 52 of 65
Grif1
Aspirant

Think I might abandon Time Machine altogether and use something like SuperDuper.... It can backup to a Sparse
Message 53 of 65
bct
Tutor
Tutor

Grif wrote:
Hi Eric,
Tired this but alas won't work and still get the Error. Here's what I chucked into the .AppleVolumes file:
"/c/home/Mark" "Mark" cnidscheme:dbd allow:Mark options:tm

Where the name of user is "Mark"

Are you still having problems? (Sorry, sometimes I don't get the emails when someone posts here.) I've been meaning to update this thread with some photos or something, to make everything clear. It looks like you did it correctly, but I'll have more time to analyze it later this week.
Message 54 of 65
bct
Tutor
Tutor

(Side note, my posts earlier about weird quotas and corruption problems turned out to be two failing disks at the same time.)
Message 55 of 65
RhysAndrews
Aspirant

Hey guys,
So far this solution is working great. I have 3 staff members backing up to their home shares - all running Mountain Lion.

I have a LOT of people to put on the readyNAS, so I decided to write up an AppleScript that automatically connects to the home share, adds the .AppleVolumes and .com.apple.timemachined.supported files to the home share (and writes the appropriate username into .AppleVolumes), then disconnects. If anybody would like this, please send me a PM or something.

However a weird problem has come up..
I can no longer add any files to the home share root directory, on ANY user. In fact, for one user, their home share is no longer listed and only the "readyNAS" share is. If I try to add a file, I am asked to enter my laptop's user password, and then it tells me I don't have permission to read the contents. However, if I create a folder, it works, and then I can drag files into that folder. Just not the root directory.

Thoughts?

-Rhys
Message 56 of 65
RhysAndrews
Aspirant

Hey all,
I built an AppleScript app that automatically puts the files into a share that you have created. I used it as I needed to create the files for multiple staff members.
Firstly, you need to create all the users in ReadyNAS FrontView.
Then, open this app and simply enter the username. Once it closes, open it again and move onto the next user.

You need Applescript editor to build an app out of the code.
Make sure you change <adminPassword> and <readynasIP> to the correct values.

Hope this is useful to some of you.
--READYNAS TIME MACHINE PREPARER
--AUTHOR: RHYS ANDREWS
--VERSION: 1.0

--Ask for username
repeat

set username to display dialog "Enter ReadyNAS Username" with title "ReadyNAS Time Machine Preparer" with icon caution default answer "" buttons {"Continue", "Quit"} default button {"Continue"}
set user to text returned of username
set bypass to button returned of username

if user is not "" and bypass is "Continue" then
exit repeat
end if

if bypass is "Quit" then
error number -128
end if

end repeat

tell application "Finder"
delay 0.3
try
-- Mount volume for logging
mount volume "afp://admin:<adminPassword>@<readynasIP>/homes"
on error
display dialog "Login Failed."
error number -128
end try

end tell
delay 2

set AVtext to {"/c/home/" & user & " ReadyNAS cnidscheme:dbd allow:" & user & " options:tm "}
do shell script "echo " & AVtext & " > '/Volumes/homes/" & user & "/.AppleVolumes'"

do shell script "echo > '/Volumes/homes/" & user & "/.com.apple.timemachined.supported'"
Message 57 of 65
RhysAndrews
Aspirant

Also,
I have 2 ReadyNAS Pro's, and I got it working with the original instructions on the first NAS, but a year later, I tried to set it up on the 2nd NAS, which is the same model but had older firmware (which I have since updated), and I couldn't get it to work.

I soon found the recent instructions that you should, before setting up the disk, MOUNT the share as the user you want to backup with, then use that MOUNT as the time machine disk, not the Bonjour-found disk. Not sure why this wasn't a problem for the 1st NAS.

And yes, .com.apple.timemachinesupported or whatever is not needed. Just .AppleVolumes.

-Rhys
Message 58 of 65
ChunkySocks
Guide

Morning all,

I previously used the instructions here to set up separate Time Machine backups for myself and g/f's macbooks. Then she updated her OS from Lion to Mountain Lion and her new OS was unable to see the NAS and I never got around to nor had the time to troubleshoot it; in the meantime, I continued successfully backing up with my macbook using Lion. Fast forward to present day and we've upgraded both our macbooks and the OS on each machine to Mavericks (10.9.1) and I need to get us both backing up to the NAS using Time Machine.

I have updated the Firmware on the NAS to RAIDiator 4.2.25, my questions are:
  • are the instructions in this thread to set up multi-Mac backup shares still applicable when using Mavericks?

• although not essential, can I 'take over' the Time Machine backups that are on the NAS from my previous macbook and continue using the same share and Time Machine configuration with my present macbook?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Message 59 of 65
akeiler
Aspirant

ChunkySocks wrote:
I have updated the Firmware on the NAS to RAIDiator 4.2.25, my questions are:
  • are the instructions in this thread to set up multi-Mac backup shares still applicable when using Mavericks?

• although not essential, can I 'take over' the Time Machine backups that are on the NAS from my previous macbook and continue using the same share and Time Machine configuration with my present macbook?

I didn't set it up completely new, but the TimeMachine shares still work for my Mavericks MBP. I also updated my MBP from 10.8 to 10.9.x and the Backups still run smoothly against the NAS - the only difference that I see with 4.4.25 is that the free space no longer shows the quota cap of the user but the total free space of the NAS.
Message 60 of 65
jugalbandi
Aspirant

Does the method posted by bct still work with Mountain Lion. I set up multiple user accounts and added the two files as indicated in only one account. Then tried to connect via time machine preference pane but the time machine volume is not listed. i am not able to add a disk …the option is not available. Do I have to uncheck my regular timemachine volume from frontview?

Also once the two files are added, I no longer can log into that share on afp.

thanks.
jai
Message 61 of 65
jugalbandi
Aspirant

ok. ehansin's solution worked for me so far. I have only done one machine - will post if find issues with the method.
Message 62 of 65
Leland80
Aspirant

Can anyone confirm if the solution(s) outlined in this topic work with firmware 6.1.6 or greater?
Message 63 of 65
jugalbandi
Aspirant

I have been using this setup to backup multiple machines for about a year and a half. Works flawlessly.

Yesterday I had a strange problem. About 60 of my 130 applications just simply vanished. The machine seemed to otherwise work fine.

I wanted to do restore from an earlier time machine backup. But when I tried to boot with Cmd+R and choose Restore from Time machine the volumes did not show up.

Before I used this technique I used to use ReadyNAS volume from FrontView for 2-3 years. I no longer use this but this volume is still there with no sparsebundles. This volume shows up.

So is there a setting that I need to have, that shows these volumes on a Cmd+R boot.

All machines, NAS are on the same local network.
Message 64 of 65
jugalbandi
Aspirant

Resolved: network drive time machine not visible

Use this apple stackexchange procedure.

Works well

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... work-drive
Message 65 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements