× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to backup 15TB's of movies?!

robclarke411
Aspirant

Hi All,
I have finally finished backing up my Blu-ray collection which took some time by copying the discs to a large Netgear ReadyNAS device. I plan to use this instead of the disks so will be relying on it (original disks are already collecting dust in the loft). Due to the amount of time it took to create these digital media files I would like to create an offsite backup. I have about 15TBs worth of data.

I looked at tape but the drives are just way too expensive and designed for use with servers. I have therefore bought 15TBs worth of external hard drives (5x 3TB discs). I have 2 questions about how to do this:

1. What is the best way to do this? bearing in mind I need to backup across 5 disks. I don't particularly just want to copy the files in Windows for a number of reasons.
2. Some of the copies I have are DVD and I will be replacing them with Blu-rays when they come out. How could I keep track of what I currently have and to get the old copied removed and the new copy added? I don't want to do this manually as it could take forever.

Any help much appreciated! Thanks
Message 1 of 4
0r0r0r
Aspirant

Re: How to backup 15TB's of movies?!

1. I think the best approach would be to buy a used ReadyNas that will accommodate 3Gig hard drives and copy the movie files from your existing ReadyNas using rsync.
2. Just name the movie files consistently using standard movie file names and the new file will overwrite the old file. There are some programs that will do this for you.
Message 2 of 4
b00st3d
Aspirant

Re: How to backup 15TB's of movies?!

rsyncing should automatically update any file that has been changed, correct?
Message 3 of 4
fbmachines
Guide

b00st3d wrote:
rsyncing should automatically update any file that has been changed, correct?

Correct. New files and changed files. There also is an option to propagate deleted files too.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements