× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to backup snapshots (OS 6.4.2)

Hombibi
Guide

How to backup snapshots (OS 6.4.2)

I rsync the shares of my Readynas Pro with an NV+, on a daily basis. It works well for my backups, but a downside is that when one file is deleted ( or infected for that matter ) it will be deleted from the NV+ within a day too. To provide incremental backups I use snapshots on my Pro. I think I need these snapshots in my backup too.

Currently the logs of my (rsync) backups make no note of any snapshots, but they do list every other file synced. I can't find anything in any manual on how to backup snapshots. Does anyone know how to do this?  Is it done by default when backing up a share? Or do I first have to make a snapshot directory visible and than create an additional backup job? That would not be my preference, I would like to keep snapshots hidden to anyone but the Readynas OS.

Or do I need to rely on the snapshot function on the NV+?

Thanks

Hombibi

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6620|ReadyNAS Pro 6 12TB (6 x 2TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to backup snapshots (OS 6.4.2)

If you were to back up the snapshots to the NV+, then each snapshot would take the full share size - they would not be incremental. For instance, a 200 GB share with 10 snapshots might take 10 GB of disk space in OS6, but the backup copies would still require 2000 GB.  For most situations it is simply not practical to back them up.

One option is replace (or augment) with NV+ with an inexpensive OS6 NAS, and turn on daily snapshots on the destination NAS. 

A second is just to rely on the Pro snapshots to recover from accidental file deletions.

A third is to create an independent weekly backup to the NV+, which gives some more time to recover files (though of course they need to be more than a week old).

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree with StephenB. Getting an OS6 NAS would be the ideal solution.

Note the NV+ supports a single snapshot. If you have 10GB of snapshot space if you write more than 10GB of data to the NV+ whilst the snapshot exists it will be invalidated. So the snapshot function on the NV+ won't help with what you want.

Message 3 of 5
Hombibi
Guide

Thanks mdgm, Thanks StepenB,I see why the NV+ snapshots won't work well for me.

The solution to reduce the rsync backup to a weekly frequency or even lower is a clever one, thanks for that.

I guess the easiest solution would be to get an OS6 Nas as you suggest.

As the NV+ is quite old already I'll consider that approach, 104, 204, 210, not sure what to get, 6 bay seems to be very expensive. In the mean time I'll consider if I can create a solution based on rsync and cp -al, in which the snapshot function is provided by cp -al, as per Mike Rubel:  http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/ and http://webgnuru.com/linux/rsync_incremental.php

Thanks very much for your help.

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would go with the RN204 or RN214 out of those options.

The 6-bay models (RN316/RN516/RN716X) are business class models with Intel CPUs primarily targeted at business users, but they work great in the home too.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements