× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to control outbound and inbound traffic?

tjuanma
Guide

How to control outbound and inbound traffic?

Hi everyone.
I've configured my Readynas RN104 to access via WAN to FTP,SSH,etc...
I also have App installed and shared via WAN like Transmission and PLEX.

To check the NAS connection i've installed istats App and i can see the global Upload and Download.

However my NAS is shared also with my family and some times i would like to know exactly wich apps/services of the NAS are producing the upload/download rates.

To know if is trasmission is easy, just open the app and see the U/D rate....but i don't know how to control the U/D on FTP,SSH,PLEX....

Can someone help me?
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How to control outbound and inbound traffic?

On your Plex client you can limit the bandwidth that it will use to play video via your WAN. If you have multiple devices playing video over your WAN you would need a limit set on each of the client devices.

You may be able to set a client side limit in your FTP client as well.
Message 2 of 10
tjuanma
Guide

mdgm wrote:
On your Plex client you can limit the bandwidth that it will use to play video via your WAN. If you have multiple devices playing video over your WAN you would need a limit set on each of the client devices.

You may be able to set a client side limit in your FTP client as well.

Thanks for the answer but i don't want to limit the bandwidth...i just want to check how much bandwidth is dedicated to each service...
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

No bandwidth is "dedicated" (e.g., reserved for a particular service).

Do you want to see a history of what bandwidth has been used for each service? There isn't built-in tool to tell you that
Message 4 of 10
tjuanma
Guide

StephenB wrote:
No bandwidth is "dedicated" (e.g., reserved for a particular service).

Do you want to see a history of what bandwidth has been used for each service? There isn't built-in tool to tell you that

And wit an non-built-in addon?

maybe with cacti?
Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I've never used Cacti, but from what I gather it can graph traffic by IP address, but not by port number.

So my guess is no.
Message 6 of 10
tjuanma
Guide

StephenB wrote:
I've never used Cacti, but from what I gather it can graph traffic by IP address, but not by port number.

So my guess is no.

Any idea?
Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I don't, but perhaps someone else here does.

Why do you need to know this btw?
Message 8 of 10
tjuanma
Guide

StephenB wrote:
I don't, but perhaps someone else here does.

Why do you need to know this btw?

Cause my girlfriend anda my parents uses the access to my NAS remotely and i would like to know who is using what, just to know why my net is going slowly at this moment xD
Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

How do they access the NAS? ReadyCloud or some other way?

What you can get from cacti is the flow by IP address, which should let you distinguish your parents and girlfriend's traffic. That doesn't require knowing what traffic for each service/app.

Though your router might also be able to tell you this (at least most will log remote inbound connections, and some routers have their own traffic meter).

You can of course also temporarily block their access and see if your network speeds improve.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements