× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to exclude a Windows folder in ReadyNAS backup

MCEComputers
Apprentice

How to exclude a Windows folder in ReadyNAS backup

I am using ReadyNAS backup to pull a backup from a Windows 10 pc. The backup job is using protocol remote: Windows (Archive Bit).

There is a hidden Windows folder named 'System Volume Information', a pretty common folder in Windows os. The ReadyNAS backup job fails with a log entry of: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \System Volume Information\* every time.

This 'System Volume Information' folder is not accessible on the Windows system. I can see it if I tell Windows to show hidden OS folders, but I cannot change the owner or permissions and the folder cannot be deleted. I can't even open the folder to see it's contents. I have even tried to change permissions, attributes, etc using an elevated command prompt to no avail. Windows does not want this folder messed with.

Is there a way to exclude this folder from the ReadyNAS backup job to eliminate the access error. The 'Excluded Files & Folders' section under the 'Advanced' tab is not available unless using Rsync protocol.

Model: RNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Personally I think the best approach is to use a Windows backup program with the NAS share as the destination.  I use Acronis TrueImage myself, but there are several free programs (for example freefilesync), which can run on a schedule and have more options than the NAS backup job. 

But to get back to your question - it looks like you are backing up an administrative share.  Is this the C drive?  If so, there are many other folders that can't be copied to the NAS.

Message 2 of 5
MCEComputers
Apprentice

I am trying to keep all of my backup jobs together in one location for ease of use/maintenance. Setting up a separate backup program/system for this one PC is not something I want to do if it can be avoided.

What I am tring to back up is the 😧 drive. The Windows PC has a 500gb ssd boot drive and a 1.5tb hdd for data storage. This is my Wife's PC and she is not a 'computer person' (so she tells me, often) and as such, her data storage is not well organized. I was trying to setup the backup job to grab everything from the 😧 drive just in case. The backup seems to do that, including creating the 'System Volume Information' folder on the backup destination, but then the backup ends with an error since the contents of the folder cannot be copied and/or validated.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@MCEComputers wrote:

What I am tring to back up is the 😧 drive. 

One option is to create a "master" folder on the drive, and then move all the other folders with data into it (so they will be subfolders).  Then share that folder, and modify the NAS backup job to use that folder as the remote source.

Not much else you can do w/o the ability to exclude the system volume information folder.

Message 4 of 5
MCEComputers
Apprentice

You're right, I may have to create a folder to hold all of the relevant data.

Have been trying to avoid moving SWMBO's files around. I moved all of her data from the PC to a share on a NAS a while back. She complained that she couldn't find anything and eventually moved it back rather than searching it out. She is not big on change.

If I could get her off of Windoze and on to Linux my life would be so much less interesting. Wouldn't that be nice?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements