× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to get Data off a Failed ReadyNAS NV+ Model RND4250-100EUS

JohnRu
Aspirant

How to get Data off a Failed ReadyNAS NV+ Model RND4250-100EUS

Hi, I have an aged ReadyNAS NV+, which has been worked well for many years.  It has two 500Gb discs in only 2 of the 4 slots.  However, it recently failed to boot with a Kerel Panic message.  I have taken the two discs out and it will not boot as the message says "No Discs".

I also have a newer ReadyNAS 212 as well.  I have most of the data from the old drives backed up but I want to check.  So, could I put the old discs from the ReadyNAS NV+ into the newer ReadyNAS 212 chassis to check what is on them?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to get Data off a Failed ReadyNAS NV+ Model RND4250-100EUS

@JohnRu wrote:

I tried: "First try booting up the NAS with only the second disk installed (in the original slot)."

This worked fine thanks, so I am just checking that I have all the data now.

Great.  Then disk 1 has likely failed, and needs to be replaced.  But first back up the NAS 😀.

You don't need to match the model you are using with disk 2, but you do need to use a drive that is at least the same size. 

I don't think there are current mechanical disks that are only 500 GB, so I'd go with something larger.  Your NAS can't handle anything bigger than 2 TB. Since the price difference between 1 TB and 2 TB is small, I'd personally just get 2 TB.  When you replace the second disk with a 2 TB model, you will end up with a 2 TB volume (the biggest RAID-1 volume possible with your NAS).

I recommend either a WD Red Plus (WD20EFZX), or a Seagate Ironwolf (ST2000NT001).   Avoid the WD Red (WD20EFAX) - it is an SMR drive, which isn't a good choice for ReadyNAS.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@JohnRu wrote:

So, could I put the old discs from the ReadyNAS NV+ into the newer ReadyNAS 212 chassis to check what is on them?

No, that won't work.

@JohnRu wrote:

I have taken the two discs out and it will not boot as the message says "No Discs".

That is normal, the OS is installed on the disks.

@JohnRu wrote:

How to get Data off a Failed ReadyNAS NV+

First try booting up the NAS with only the second disk installed (in the original slot).

If that also gives the kernel panic, then try connecting the first disk to a Windows PC (either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock) and use R-linux for Windows.

If this doesn't find your files, try the second disk.

Message 2 of 4
JohnRu
Aspirant

Thanks for the response

I tried: "First try booting up the NAS with only the second disk installed (in the original slot)."

Thanks again

John

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@JohnRu wrote:

Great.  Then disk 1 has likely failed, and needs to be replaced.  But first back up the NAS 😀.

You don't need to match the model you are using with disk 2, but you do need to use a drive that is at least the same size. 

I don't think there are current mechanical disks that are only 500 GB, so I'd go with something larger.  Your NAS can't handle anything bigger than 2 TB. Since the price difference between 1 TB and 2 TB is small, I'd personally just get 2 TB.  When you replace the second disk with a 2 TB model, you will end up with a 2 TB volume (the biggest RAID-1 volume possible with your NAS).

I recommend either a WD Red Plus (WD20EFZX), or a Seagate Ironwolf (ST2000NT001).   Avoid the WD Red (WD20EFAX) - it is an SMR drive, which isn't a good choice for ReadyNAS.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements