× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to mount /readynas/home from Ubuntu?

saariko
Aspirant

How to mount /readynas/home from Ubuntu?

Our 1100 is used to store all our home folders, under /home/username

I am trying to mount the /home folder to an ubuntu server. However, the mount command keeps getting error 13.

I have a feeling that the /home/ is NOT a real share (I can access it via SMB://192.168.0.25/home/) but I can't really mount it via fstable

I created a test share, and it works as expected.

How am I doing it to the /home folder?
Message 1 of 5
arjoseph1
Tutor

Re: How to mount /readynas/home from Ubuntu?

You need to contact support for assistance. /Home has some permissions that needs to be configured first before you can mount it.
Message 2 of 5
amac27
Aspirant

if you have root SSH access on the NAS you can edit the smb.conf to make the home share to have a 777 on the permissions.

but when you use the /home/ you wont be able to configure the permissions from frontview like how you configure the shares.
Message 3 of 5
sphardy1
Apprentice

The /home CIFS share is only available to the admin user as an administrative convenience, and therefore it is not appropriate to use that for regular user access

(note also, this share may actually be called /homes - not /home - but I cannot check this at the moment)

Rather, Home shares should be mounted as smb://nas/username using the users own login credentials

As an aside, I get the impression you are trying to access CIFS based shares in the same manner that you would typically mount NFS shares under linux - however the method does not directly translate due to different ways CIFS and NFS authenticate users and so you may wish to rethink how you do this.
Message 4 of 5
saariko
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:
The /home CIFS share is only available to the admin user as an administrative convenience, and therefore it is not appropriate to use that for regular user access

(note also, this share may actually be called /homes - not /home - but I cannot check this at the moment)

Rather, Home shares should be mounted as smb://nas/username using the users own login credentials

As an aside, I get the impression you are trying to access CIFS based shares in the same manner that you would typically mount NFS shares under linux - however the method does not directly translate due to different ways CIFS and NFS authenticate users and so you may wish to rethink how you do this.

Thanks for your remarks.

What I am trying to do is as follows:
- Give private access to every domain user. This is through CIFS, under the /home/USERNAME

- on top of that, I have my ubuntu server, where I have abackup job that should continusly backup ALL of the private shares. The only way I see how to do it, is to mount the /home folder (not share) and scan it for changes and backup.

- As you wrote, since the /home (or /homes) is NOT a real share, I can not really change it's CIFS/NFS settings (Can I ?)
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements