× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to recover data from Readynas NV+ with failed power supply

dougusc
Aspirant

How to recover data from Readynas NV+ with failed power supply

I have an old ReadyNAS NV+ RND4210 and the power supply went out.  I have lots of data backed up in a RAID configuration.  I am looking for recommendations for how I can recover the data from the drives.  I had 4x2GB drives.

I guess I see two options:

1. Buy a new power supply.  But, this is not straight forward.  Lots of power supplies out there and can't find an exact match.  And also > $100.

2.  Buy a new NAS.  But, will it take my current drives?  Can I recover the data without paying Netgear feeds to do the work?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Model: RND4210|ReadyNAS NV+ 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@dougusc wrote:

I did not do that connector modification.  I would like to try that.  Is there a connector that I could purchase to make those changes?  Or do I need to cut wires and rewire them?

You can rewire the PSU ATX cable.  Or you can purchase an inexpensive ATX extension cable, and make the wiring change there.  Personally I'd go with the extension cable (so you wouldn't need to reverse the mod to the PSU later on).  But both will work.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@dougusc wrote:

2.  Buy a new NAS.  But, will it take my current drives?  

Paid support can mount the disks temporarily in a new ReadyNAS so you can offload the data.  I don't know what that would cost.  More information on that is here: https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

@dougusc wrote:

Can I recover the data without paying Netgear fees to do the work?

Note a variation on option (1) is to use an external ATX supply temporarily.  That would be less expensive (or even free if you have an old PC you can pull the supply out of).  There is a small modification needed to the PSU connector.  However, you can do that in an extender cable, leaving the PSU intact.

Option 3 would be to mount the disks in a linux PC (most PCs can be booted up under linux).  If your PC doesn't have enough SATA ports, you'd need a USB enclosure of some kind - cost would be similar (or perhaps more) than a replacement PSU. 

A variant here is to purchase R-Studio for Windows (and avoid linux).  R-Studio normally would cost about $80, at the moment you could get it for $60.

Message 2 of 8
dougusc
Aspirant

Hi StephanB,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I had an old ATX PS and tried that.  The connector hooked up, but the NAS would not start.  I am thinking that it might be a different issue than the PS.

I also installed Linux and was able to connect one of the NAS 2TB drives.  But, I can't get access to see any of the files.  Maybe there is some trick to get access and mount the drives that come out of the NAS.  I get this error in Linux:

"Unable to access location.  Error mounting...."

I will do more research on mounting one of the NAS drives.

Thanks,

Message 3 of 8
dougusc
Aspirant

One other question....

Is there another Netgear product that I could purchase where I might be able to install my 4x2TB drives to recover the data?  I probably was in need of an upgrade anyway.  I would hate to have to buy another ReadyNAS NV+ or pay for recovery services.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@dougusc wrote:

I had an old ATX PS and tried that.  The connector hooked up, but the NAS would not start. 

Did you change the pinout on the extension cable?  The needed change is here: http://www.readynas.com/download/archive/pdf/ReadyNAS_PSU_pinout.pdf

@dougusc wrote:

I also installed Linux and was able to connect one of the NAS 2TB drives.  But, I can't get access to see any of the files.  Maybe there is some trick to get access and mount the drives that come out of the NAS.  I get this error in Linux:

"Unable to access location.  Error mounting...."

The RAID array using striping, so you need all the drives mounted in the linux PC.  Then you need to assemble the array before you can mount it.

Instructions for ubuntu linux are

1. sudo su
  2. apt-get install fuseext2
  3. apt-get install lvm2
  4. modprobe fuse
  5. vgscan
  6. vgchange -ay c
  7. fuseext2 -o ro -o sync_read /dev/c/c /mnt

(from http://jim-st.blogspot.com/2012/07/mouning-readynas-drives-on-x86-systems.html )

@dougusc wrote:

Is there another Netgear product that I could purchase where I might be able to install my 4x2TB drives to recover the data?  I probably was in need of an upgrade anyway.

It is possible to temporarily mount the array in a new ReadyNAS - which allows you to off-load data.  The new NAS all use different disk partitioning, different RAID tools, and a different file system.  So this is just temporary.  It also requires paid support's assistance (no idea what they charge).  

https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

Message 5 of 8
dougusc
Aspirant

Thanks so much for the details.

I did not do that connector modification.  I would like to try that.  Is there a connector that I could purchase to make those changes?  Or do I need to cut wires and rewire them?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@dougusc wrote:

You can rewire the PSU ATX cable.  Or you can purchase an inexpensive ATX extension cable, and make the wiring change there.  Personally I'd go with the extension cable (so you wouldn't need to reverse the mod to the PSU later on).  But both will work.

Message 7 of 8
dougusc
Aspirant

Thanks StephanB,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I did the connector modification and the ATX  PS is now feeding the NAS.  Works great.  Thanks!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements