× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to set alerts using Google Apps

ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

How to set alerts using Google Apps

In the relase notes of firmware 6.10.2 I have read the following:

Attention Gmail Users:
Gmail customers using the Google integration for email alerts will require a re-authenticating with the newer email authentication by September 15, 2019.

That triggered me to check if the alerts went out correctly on the two RN628X devices I use. I noticed that the alerts are no longer going out properly (probably not related to the firmware version of the RN628X). I have been looking for further information on how to set this up in the alert settings of the RN628X but I could not find this. Has anyone been able to set the alerts using the SMTP servers from google (smtp.gmail.com) and if so can you let me know what I should do to get the alerts working again? 

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 6
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Google has provided some additional extentions for the previous Google App method prior to 6.10.2.

When you upgrade to 6.10.2, you may need to "Signout" and Sign back into Gmail to take advantage of the newer security updates.

Message 2 of 6
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Hi OOM-9 Thank you for your reply. Signing out and signing in suggests a method that I am not using. I don’t have this ability. I do see a Gopogle and Microsoft section that suggests I can use one of these to set up alerts, but nothing happens when I click on Google. Am I doing something wrong?

Message 3 of 6
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

I see. It sounds like you configured the gmail, email alerts, with our older methods that would have Google require a less secure account setting, or 2FA with an application specific password for the ReadyNAS. In addition enabling the SNMP settings on gmail to allow third party email client support.

The newer method would follow the security recommendations from Google and does not get flagged for any security issues. Since you already have it configured with the "Other Email Provides", you can "Clear" those email settings and use the Google option. It should be colored when selectable and would provide a popup with Google account login. Once you autherize the email with Google (through the popup), the ReadyNAS will have the email alerts setup with the newer Google method.

Note: This requires 6.10.2 to correctly work.

Message 4 of 6
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Clear the settings makes that the Gopogle options gets colors and can be set. However loging in on my Google account seems to work, but I still can't send a test alert. How should the server settings look like when I finished the login to my Gmail account? When nothing is filled in I get the message that the SMTP server is not allowed to be empty, but when I populate all the fields again with the same information I do get the message that the server (probably the Google SMTP server) is not accepting my login. Anyone any idea's?

Message 5 of 6
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Anyone having the same issues. Also on my second RN628X I don't get the alerts to work.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements