× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to set permissions for sub folders and files

eric_wan
Aspirant

How to set permissions for sub folders and files

Hi 

I have a question about how to set the permission for subfolder? I don't find the settings of the permission of subfolder, the authentication type of my NAS is Active Directory.

for example

READYNAS
|
|
---- Agency (Share)
       |
       |----- Designers (Folder)
       |        |
       |        |---- Graphics (Subfolder)
       |        |
       |        |---- Web (Subfolder)
       | 
       |----- Developers (Folder)

I would like to be able to control permissions based on folders, not just based on shares. 

If I have a group of graphic designers, I want to be able to give them access to the Agency share, the Designers folder, and the Graphics subfolder. 

If they try to access the Web folder, they will be denied access. If they try to access the Developers folder, they will also be denied access. 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
jak0lantash
Mentor

Re: How to set permissions for sub folders and files

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The simplest way is to flatten the structure into different shares.

You can also access the share via windows, and right-click on the folders.  That will let you set the file permissions via windows.

Message 2 of 4
jak0lantash
Mentor

This is the correct way to set permissions if the NAS is joined to AD: https://kb.netgear.com/7066/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Setting-Active-Directory-folder-permissions

Message 3 of 4
eric_wan
Aspirant

I have set permission for the subfolders. Thanks for your kindly replySmiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements