× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to turn off emails for maintenance tasks?

rmunitz
Tutor

How to turn off emails for maintenance tasks?

In Frontview, I have configured my ReadyNas Ultra to send emails for critical hardware events.
I have also configured it to perform regular maintenance tasks such as scrubbing.
Unfortunately, every time it starts and finishes each of these maintenance tasks I (and everyone else on the notification list) get an email. I'd like to turn off the maintenance emails but I don't see any way to do that.
I contacted Support and was informed that it couldn't be done and would require a firmware enhancement. They suggested I post this on the forum.

Thanks
Message 1 of 5
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Re: How to turn off emails for maintenance tasks?

The Frontview is limited on what level of critical events that it has to email. The scrubbing is part of an hardware event, but is not as critical than a disk failure.
What is the case number that you filed with support?
Message 2 of 5
rmunitz
Tutor

This was Case Number: 17653262. I believe that the case got closed since it was entered a few weeks ago.
Certainly, if a problem was encountered during the scrubbing or volume consistency check tasks, I'd understand getting an email, but these messages (telling me that a task I know I scheduled has started and completed without error) are purely informational and there really needs to be a way to turn them off (in fact I'd think they should be off by default).
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

rmunitz wrote:
...if a problem was encountered during the scrubbing or volume consistency check tasks, I'd understand getting an email, but these messages (telling me that a task I know I scheduled has started and completed without error) are purely informational and there really needs to be a way to turn them off...
I agree that it would be nice to be able to configure it so I'd only get failure emails.

Though I'd say this is just a nicety, not something essential.
Message 4 of 5
rmunitz
Tutor

"Though I'd say this is just a nicety, not something essential."
Of course, I agree it is not essential, any more than spam filters are essential. Getting frequent, unwanted, emails is just annoying. However, the same non-essential argument could be made for providing the option to suppress every other kind of email the firmware is capable of generating. Yet those options are provided, and it is very hard to make the case that it is more important that the firmware should provide an option to suppress emails warning about dangerous temperature levels than to provide an option to suppress informational maintenance messages.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements