× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to upgrade the storage of ReadyNAS 102(Firmware:6.10.2) ?

muhammedsameer
Aspirant

How to upgrade the storage of ReadyNAS 102(Firmware:6.10.2) ?

Hi Team,

I have a ReadyNAS 102 storage currently it have 2 no of 1 TB HDD, Now the free space 174 GB. Please suggest how to upgrade this storage to 4 TB,and how to move the current data to new HDD.   

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: How to upgrade the storage of ReadyNAS 102(Firmware:6.10.2) ?

I'm going to assume you are using XRAID, so the total space from your two 1TB drives is 1TB, with the other 1TB for redundancy.  That being the case, you simply replace one drive with a 4TB drive, wait for it to sync, then replace the other, and wait for it to sync twice.  It will sync twice becuse the first re-syncs the original 1TB and the second sync's the new 3TB.  If it should fail to expand after the first sync, try re-booting.  While you don't actually need to move any data with this procedure, it's done for you, re-sync is more stressful on the drives and is a time when your data is vulnerable.  So, it is best to insure your backup is up to date before beginning the process.  If your set-up is complex, saving the configuration is also a good idea.

If you have a different configuration than what i assumed, you'll need to describe it before we can help you.

If something should go wrong during the exchange process, don't just put the original two drives back in thinking all will go back to normal.  They will be out of sync, so it won't.  Come back and ask for more advice.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm going to assume you are using XRAID, so the total space from your two 1TB drives is 1TB, with the other 1TB for redundancy.  That being the case, you simply replace one drive with a 4TB drive, wait for it to sync, then replace the other, and wait for it to sync twice.  It will sync twice becuse the first re-syncs the original 1TB and the second sync's the new 3TB.  If it should fail to expand after the first sync, try re-booting.  While you don't actually need to move any data with this procedure, it's done for you, re-sync is more stressful on the drives and is a time when your data is vulnerable.  So, it is best to insure your backup is up to date before beginning the process.  If your set-up is complex, saving the configuration is also a good idea.

If you have a different configuration than what i assumed, you'll need to describe it before we can help you.

If something should go wrong during the exchange process, don't just put the original two drives back in thinking all will go back to normal.  They will be out of sync, so it won't.  Come back and ask for more advice.

Message 2 of 4
muhammedsameer
Aspirant

Thanks for your valuable information. Can I get the netgear technical support contact number, then I can call them and check more details. 

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@muhammedsameer wrote:

Thanks for your valuable information. Can I get the netgear technical support contact number, then I can call them and check more details. 

This is a community forum - @Sandshark doesn't work for Netgear (FWIW, neither do I).

You can contact support via my.netgear.com, but they will charge.  What details do you need clarified?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements