× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I P Conflict

chrisyork
Aspirant

I P Conflict

Hi,

After a power outage and reboot my duo is sending out 2 MAC address to the router which is causing a conflict. The router is an Asus RT- N56U and I am running the latest version of RAIDar. Any advice would be appreciated.

Model: ReadyNASRND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

First guess is you had a bond of 2 NICs before the crash, which got lost for whatever reason. If this does not apply to your situation, please ignore post.

If it applies, try to enable the bond again and check your router,wether the error disappeared.

Message 2 of 12
chrisyork
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, I must admit I am out of my depth with this bonding issue. The duo only has one ethernet port so I would assume this is not the problem?

I would a pretty comprehensive talk through to sort this out Im afraid

Message 3 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I agree. Sorry for bothering you. One of the Netgear Moderators might give it a try.

Message 4 of 12
chrisyork
Aspirant

Worth a try and thanks for the input, as you suggest i`m hoping a moderator will pick it up

Message 5 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

Can you clarify what is the problem exactly? You said that the NAS is sending out two MAC addresses on the network? Are they similar? Are the first 6 letters the same? Can you share the first 6 letters of each MAC address here?

If there are indeed two MAC addresses (which would be very surprising), then there would be two different IPs given by the DHCP server, so no IP conflict. Can you clarify what makes you think there is an IP conflict?

Can you tell us what is router telling you exactly? What is shown on RAIDar?

Message 6 of 12
chrisyork
Aspirant

Hello,

To answer your requests in order,

The router shows two entries for the NAS in the client status, both of them show the correct name of the NAS, when you hover the mouse over the first entry it shows the correct MAC address ie the same as the sticker on the rear of the unit starting 00:24:B2:xx:xx:xx

The second entry shows a completly different MAC Address starting D8:D4:3C:xx:xx:xx

I am recieving emails from the NAS stating

MAC address D8:D4:3C claims to have our IP address (192.168.x.xxx) (duplicate IP conflict likely)

RAIDar is stating that the MAC address is the one starting 00:24:B2

Hope this helps in looking for a resolution

Message 7 of 12
chrisyork
Aspirant

Dont know how the smilies got in there ,apologies for that

Message 8 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

Thanks for the details, greatly help understanding what's happening.

00:24:B2 is your ReadyNAS.

D8: D4:3C is NOT your ReadyNAS. It belongs to a Sony device.

The issue is not that two MAC addresses are sent by the ReadyNAS, the issue is simply that two devices have the same IP ("IP conflict", "duplicate IP"). The display on your router showing the same name for both occurrences of the IP is just because it able to distinguish the two.

The IP conflict is most likely due to one device using DHCP and the other being set to static IP on the same IP address, or both devices being statically set to the same IP address.

I'd advise you to set both devices to DHCP, if not all devices on your network to avoid any new occurrence of this, or to at least change the IP on one of these two for now.

Any idea what this Sony device is?

Message 9 of 12
chrisyork
Aspirant

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply, the points you highlight were very informative. It would appear that the offending address belongs to my Sony Bluray player that is connected via ethernet  to watch amazon prime videos, I have removed the cable from the player and there have been no further email notifications.

I have checked my router and was already set to hand out IP`s via DHCP so I don`t quite know why all of a sudden it has started to hand out two of the same adresses, if it comes to it I will ditch the Bluray and use an alternative.

I will mark this as resolved for the moment but may post back if it re-occurs.

Thanks for your help

Message 10 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, but if your NAS is set to a static IP, then it will ignore the IP address handed out by your router and use what it is set for.  That is the likely scenario and why that's not the best way to reserve addresses.  The better method is to reserve the address within the router.  If you cannot do that, then set the static address to somethng well out of the range likely to be assigned by the router, like xxx-xxx-xxx-200.  If you change it, though, remember that anything else you set up that relies on the static address will also need an update.

Message 11 of 12
chrisyork
Aspirant

Hello,

Thanks for the additional information, I have now reserved the IP address within the router for the NAS so hopefully that should be OK

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements