× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I cannot delete the .AppleDB folder as permission is denied, even in FTP as admin

johncove
Aspirant

I cannot delete the .AppleDB folder as permission is denied, even in FTP as admin

I have a ReadyNAS 104.  For years now, I have not been able to delete half of the littered Apple AFP folders and files that spread themselves across my shares from when I also had a MAC on my network accessing this device.  I have managed to delete most but some still linger with the permission denied error.

I have upgrades to the latest firmware v6.7.5 (which I didn't think would make any difference).  I have tried to take ownership over FTP under admin but get the following error:-

550 CHMOD 666 cnid2.db: Operation not permitted

When I try and delete the folder in Windows, I get permission denied error. Looking at the security tab, it looks like the owner of .AppleDB and its contained files could be root (Unix User\root) and/or root (Unix Group\root).  These files are:-

cnid2.db

db_errlog

lock

log.0000000002

Can I log in to the unit, get to the share and delete these files and folders under some kind of super admin user?  SSH, or something would be good?

Please help!  It has been driving me mad for over 4 years!

Thanks,

John

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: I cannot delete the .AppleDB folder as permission is denied, even in FTP as admin

johncove wrote: 

Can I log in to the unit, get to the share and delete these files and folders under some kind of super admin user?  SSH, or something would be good?

Yes, logh in with ssh as root (admin password) and nuke them!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: I cannot delete the .AppleDB folder as permission is denied, even in FTP as admin

johncove wrote: 

Yes, logh in with ssh as root (admin password) and nuke them!

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Also, try using the web admin UI.  That often can delete files that SMB and FTP can't.

Message 3 of 5
johncove
Aspirant

This works! 🙂

This will delete all the Apple crud:-

find . -name "_*" -type f -delete 

This will remove the Apple crud directories in question:-

rm -rd .AppleDB

Thanks for the pointer 🙂

Message 4 of 5
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@johncove wrote:

This will delete all the Apple crud:-

find . -name "_*" -type f -delete 

This will remove the Apple crud directories in question:-

rm -rd .AppleDB

That's what I do as routine maintenance to get rid of such files! Glad it worked.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements