× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I'd really like to backup my NAS...

NASNoob11
Aspirant

I'd really like to backup my NAS...

I have been reading this forum for many years. I know that I have to backup my 3 NAS devices. Why does Frontview make this task so difficult?
Yes, I run f/w=v4.4.24 (on an Ultra2 and Ultra2+)....and f/w=4.1.12 on my Duo-v1.....:(

Does the backup logic only allow me to backup one share at a time?
Where is the selection for 'The whole Volume' on nasC to nasB? I do not see this at all.....(?)

Yes, I get a large choice list, but it makes little sense to me. Sorry. It is too geeky. And until I choose something in the list, I can NOT continue with my desires.
Yes, I am trying to 'pull' everything from my nasC (Duo) and put everything on my nasB (Ultra2) which I am logged into.
Yes, I do know the ip addy's of both devices, but Frontview does not ever query, or, let me share this info either.
I am totally frustrated still. I do know that I need to backup my NAS', but the NAS logic is still making this task very troublesome to me. OK, my bad! pls help!
NasA=Ultra2+
NasB=Ultra2
NasC=Duo-v1
If my 'renaming' of my NAS is problematic to this issue, I will gladly rename them back to their original 'Netgear RAIDIATOR' names of last 3 MAC addy couplets. :?
No, I do not run a Win Sever. I do run DHCP on my router, but only to setup a Duo-v2 for my Brother. All my NAS' use statically assigned ip addy's. I am still hanging in here, but just barely. Sheesh!!!!
Message 1 of 16
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: I'd really like to backup my NAS...

you can backup /c as a SOURCE, but you are correct, there is no way to use /C as the destination.

This is because there are numerous hidden directories for addons and other OS services that could get overwritten (accidentally or on purpose).
Message 2 of 16
StephenB
Guru

There is no issue with your names, you can also use the static IP addresses.

As TeknoJnky says, you can't use the volume as a destination. So the net is that you have two approaches.

(a) copy /c to a single share on the target NAS. That is ok for backup, but more difficult for restoring, or migrating to a new NAS.
(b) copy share by share, which requires a lot of backup jobs.

(b) is what I do. One reason is that my pro-6 has more capacity than my backup RN102 and NV+, so I split the shares across the two machines.
Message 3 of 16
fastfwd
Virtuoso

StephenB wrote:
(a) copy /c to a single share on the target NAS. That is ok for backup, but more difficult for restoring, or migrating to a new NAS.

What about c) Use ReadyNAS Replicate?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72792&p=405029&hilit=free+replicate#p404838
Message 4 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Replicate is probably an option too - though I have never used it.

Frontview share-by-share backup does go fairly quickly once you get the hang of it.

NASNoob - how many shares do you have on the v1? Do you also use the home share feature?
Message 5 of 16
DeeCee521
Aspirant

fastfwd wrote:
StephenB wrote:

What about c) Use ReadyNAS Replicate?

https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopi ... te#p404838

If you have replicate, definitely give it a try. You can see what you are doing.

I used the 45 day free trial period for replicate to get everything backed up from one NAS to another. I could see what I was doing and see how the jobs were going. Then I set up the backup jobs on the individual NAS boxes using the replicate jobs as go bys and using rsync.

Now the rsync jobs run quickly and even though I don't have the internet management aspect of replicate, it is basically all running smoothly.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 4
Message 6 of 16
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:

Frontview share-by-share backup does go fairly quickly once you get the hang of it.

NASNoob - how many shares do you have on the v1? Do you also use the home share feature?

Stephen B,
I don't understand the 'home share feature.' Can you explain?
What is 'v1?'
Each of my NAS have 3 Shares - backup, data, media. All Shares are set to allow/use CIFS, AFP, NFS, and RSYNC. OPLOCS are disabled. Anonymous logins are disabled.
I use MS Backup logic to backup everything on each PC to nasc/Backup. Works perfectly each month.
I use MS Synctoy v2.1 on my primary PC to itermittantly 'backup' my Thunderbird email and my c:\windows\My Documents to nasc/Data/unique folders. Works perfectly every time I exercise this task.
So I tried to code and run a backup job "nasc/backup to nasb/backup." It failed. Fine, I'm learning! When I logged in this AM, nasc posts a msg widow, "The backup source does not exist. [Job 001] [Thu Sep 19 00:10:06 EDT 2013]." Odd. Nasc exists, and the Share 'backup' exists also. The backup log reads:
Job: 001
Protocol: Select this NAS {nasc} or remote
Source:
Destination: [cifs]///10.0.0.19/Data {this is nasb} Why [cifs]? Was expecting [nfs]

Backup failed. Thu Sep 19 00:05:06 EDT 2013.

Reason for failure:
The backup source does not exist.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Job: 001
Protocol: Select this NAS or remote {I read this to mean nasc}
Source:
Destination: [cifs]///10.0.0.19/Data {this is nasb}

Backup failed. Wed Sep 18 00:05:05 EDT 2013.

Reason for failure:
The backup source does not exist.

Oh well, I am still learning this complicated (to me!) logic! 🙂
Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

NASNoob wrote:
I don't understand the 'home share feature.' Can you explain?
Maybe you should read the manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ ... 6Dec11.pdf Try page 29.

NASNoob wrote:
What is 'v1?'
Your duo v1.

NASNoob wrote:
Destination: [cifs]///10.0.0.19/Data {this is nasb} Why [cifs]? Was expecting [nfs]
I think it chose CIFS because you chose "windows backup" from frontview. There is a specific choice for NFS and also RSYNC.

Try again, using the "NFS server" choice.
set up the backup job on nasb

-select "Remote: NFS server" for the source
-enter nasc in the host field
-enter backup in the path.

-select "Share:backup" for the destination.

Make sure NFS (and maybe also rsync) is enabled on nasc, and also that it is enabled for the Backup share.

If this fails, change the host name on the source from nasc to the IP address of nasc.
Message 8 of 16
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB.
Thank you for your reply. Regarding the link to pg29 in the UM, are you suggesting I should add myself as a 'user' to each of my NAS?
I do not have any 'users' or 'groups' implied or installed. I live alone with my LAN and its' appliances. What benefit would this add to
completing a backup procedure between to of my NAS that I installed and set the admin credentials for Frontview?
Yes, I accepted the delay in placing my PC between 2 of my NAS to copy/paste the data. Yes, quite slow-4 real-time hours. Fine. It is done.
And the [cifs] reference now makes sense. Dumb idea! I'll try to avoid this in the future. :slap:

I appreciate your help.
Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

NASNoob wrote:
StephenB.
Thank you for your reply. Regarding the link to pg29 in the UM, are you suggesting I should add myself as a 'user' to each of my NAS?
I do not have any 'users' or 'groups' implied or installed. I live alone with my LAN and its' appliances. What benefit would this add to
completing a backup procedure between to of my NAS that I installed and set the admin credentials for Frontview?..
The original question was just if you were using the home share feature - if you were, then you would want to back up the home shares.

However it sounds you are not not using them, which is fine (I don't use them either). Some people do want a private folder for each user though, so I wanted to check.

If you have multiple people using the NAS, then creating user accounts for them can have some value. In a business context, you might want to limit access to confidential files to specific users. Even in a home context, some people want/need this - keeping some files (inappropriately rated media or personal records) off limits for their kids for instance. Multiple users (and groups) are needed to create this kind of fine-grained access control.

Even in the single-user scenario that you have, sometimes people will create a specific "user" account for a device. For instance, a media player might have the capability to delete videos after you watch them. If you don't want to do that, you might want to set up your NAS so that the media player doesn't have write or delete capability. Then you are protected from accidentally deleting the files when you use the player. Or maybe you want your player to display your photos, but don't want it to be able to display your scanned tax return. I don't feel a need for this myself, but I have seen some posts in the forum from folks who either have done this or want to.

But if these scenarios don't apply to you, it is perfectly fine to always use the built-in admin account.
Message 10 of 16
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB,
Thank you for your final paragraph/sentence. You and I are now in step again. Should I ever allow someone to live in my home, I might consider adding a 'user' to one of more of my NAS. At present, this is not a plan. And, I have no video consoles like xbox, playstation, nintendo, etc. Having shared this, I suppose my life might seem pretty boring, but I feel happy with my lot, and will be very much happier once I get this ReadyNAS 'backup' logic to do what I am still learning it should. Maybe this is where I stumble. Perhaps I am expecting too much. But I do not think so. Thanks for your patience. I will use your previous suggestions in a previous share and try to 'backup' all of the nasc/Data share to my nasb/Data share. I'll post back with results.

Should I go and delete the Shares I've created on my other NAS and just leave the array blank?

Does the ReadyNAS f/w have a glitch that I can not rename a Share after it is created? RAIDiator seems to quibble about DATA, Data, and data. And, I have tried to correct this without much success. I accept that the share is the very top of the NAS file structure; and, post placing files into a share, the share name becomes permanent. This I see. Is this correct?

Ultimately I would like to get to daily (0200hrs) backups of everything on nasc to nasa. Then, I'd like to do weekly backups of everything on nasa to nasb. Yes, I understand that this plan does not deal with files I may delete from time to time. I do not expect to 'NAS' every file I have ever seen/used/stored. I don't see my digital life as any/all files I have tripped over since 1965. At least now I backup everything on each client to my NAS each month post WinUpdates, a/v scans, mwb scans, CCleaner use. I have followed this habit since 7/31/2011. I think I got lucky back then, but I did get everything from nasc copied to nasa using NFS. The now old data lives there today. I am happy to expand on this if necessary.
Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

NASNoob wrote:
...Should I go and delete the Shares I've created on my other NAS and just leave the array blank?
I'm not sure why you'd do that, maybe you can clarify a bit.

NASNoob wrote:
...Does the ReadyNAS f/w have a glitch that I can not rename a Share after it is created? RAIDiator seems to quibble about DATA, Data, and data. And, I have tried to correct this without much success. I accept that the share is the very top of the NAS file structure; and, post placing files into a share, the share name becomes permanent. This I see. Is this correct?
You can rename shares - I just checked it on my Pro-6 (running 4.2.24). I renamed a share with data in it, and then renamed it back with no problem. Try changing Data to something else altogether, and then change it back.

NASNoob wrote:
Ultimately I would like to get to daily (0200hrs) backups of everything on nasc to nasa. Then, I'd like to do weekly backups of everything on nasa to nasb.
That is a very reasonable backup plan. It will cover deletions reasonably well btw. Normally Frontview backup won't deleted backed-up files when they disappear on the source. There is a setting in the backup job to override this behavior this, but by default it is not set. So if you delete file a.doc, it will still be on the backup NAS.

I leave the setting alone most of the time. But every now and then I change the setting so that it will delete files that are no longer on the source, let it run the backup, and then change it back. That purges the deleted files that have built up on the backup.
Message 12 of 16
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB,
As to the 'share removal', I am grabbing at straws. I believe that my Shares all share similar set-up parameters, but, I'm beginning to doubt my past work during install. I think that via Net Neighborhood, I can actually view all three 'Data' Shares and all 3 'Backup' Shares on screen and look for boo-boos. I always I thought I was to backup from nasc/share X to nasb share x. So I created same shares on my other two NAS. Fine. But, I'm thinking of blanking the nasb and nasa arrays so I can start all over, if necessary. Clearly, I have done, and, continue to do something wrong, because we are sharing, and, I still not get "BACKUP" to work. I accept that it does. I've read the threads.

I will test Share renaming today. So far I have been unsuccessful. This is frustrating. OOH!!!! Does the default font I choose for my browser impact this?????? I have been testing Verdana, but can easily change the browser back to Arial..................... :slap:

Thank you for your opinion on my current/long-range backup plan. If I can just get it to start and continue to run w/o errors, I will be a happier camper. Just having the NAS's has made life at home very painless now that I have an appliance other than a giant stack of floppy disks to record the output of the MS Backup tool.
Issues like home fires, burglars, Acts-of-God, I will think about. Maybe, I'll investigate the "Cloud." But, please do not hold your breath on this. I am not warm at all to anything "Cloud."
Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

-Is the share you are trying to rename open on one of your PCs?

-on the backup, I backup share "X" on the pro to share"X" on the backups. So that is a fine approach.
Message 14 of 16
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB,
Thank you so much! You may have just asked the key question that has puzzled me forever.
Your Q1 I am sorry to say, I just do not truly know. I believe that none of my NAS's Shares are open actively on any of my clients. But, I will answer that I do not believe so. I will check this evening and confirm. I do NOT leave browser/whatever links open/installed on any of my clients. I always go to N2 should I need to see a NAS content(s). Should I need to do dig deeper I use RAIDar and log into the chosen NAS with its' creds. Yes, I am aware of other avenues. Never used them/do not really understand them. Sorry.

I do scan the my clients Net Neighborhoods and see many 'connections' to my NAS's. I think fine. Maybe I am blowing something off. From any of my clients, I always use Net Neighborhood (can I please acronym this to N2?). And, I accept that MS has its' own way of keeping tracking its' neighborhood. Fine. My NAS live on MS's whatever. I have zero problem going to each client and cleaning out it N2 and rebooting the client. That seems really silly to me, but if it is suggested, I will add it to my monthly client backup duties.

Yes, all clients 'backup' to nasc via the MS backup logic. Perhaps I need to buy a dedicated 'Backup' program and install same on all my clients. I will admit that I am thinking about this as a new thread to raise. I know about Acronis, Guardian, and others. Since I've never had a glitch using the on-OS logic I continue to use it; regardless of how brain-dead it may now be. Certainly it only knows about floppy disks. Silly. I've learned how to refocus this old app to my nasc/backup. Works every month. I do backup my clients. Yes, the files recorded are not readable by anyone I believe. I just do not know; or, really care ATM. Another thread!

I will wander my home and check the N2 of my other clients. I always like deleting stuff out of N2! LOL! A warm reboot seems to do wonders! LOL!

Thank you for your share. I follow the same model as you. Only my tries do not work. So I grasp at, even to me, silly ideas. Apologies. I am staring at desperate; and I fully accept that I do not have enough foundational grasp of many of the topics we discuss. I appreciate the continued discussion.
Message 15 of 16
NASNoob11
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
You can rename shares - I just checked it on my Pro-6 (running 4.2.24). I renamed a share with data in it, and then renamed it back with no problem. Try changing Data to something else altogether, and then change it back.

StephenB.
Thank you for this bit of Share 'renaming' magic. The ReadyNAS does allow this, IF you do it by the rules. Your suggestion worked perfectly! I have cleaned up a bit of 3-yr old fluff now.
All 3 NAS have exactly the same 'ascii' named Share names. I chose to use 'gargle' as my intermediary name. Worked perfectly just as shared. I am now just a bit smarter. Very much appreciated, truly.
OK so I'm still learning forum quote logic, too! Jeeze! Does learning every stop? Tonight I will sleep happy!
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements