× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I have a back up drive from a previous Nas and wish to put it in a new spare Ready Nas Duo

DaveOldr
Aspirant

I have a back up drive from a previous Nas and wish to put it in a new spare Ready Nas Duo

Hi. I have a back up drive from a previous NAS. Unsure if it was taken from my RN104 or my ReadyNas Duo.

I have a brand new unused ReadyNAs Duo and want to see if i can access the data from this back up drive.

It has data that I do not wish to lose!

I am concerned that if I put it in the brand new Duo, it could wipe the data?

After reading suggestions, I have put a spare Seagate Barracuda in and the ReadyNas Duo is up and running with the latest software version 4.1.16.

I need to know what to do next without losing my existing data!

I tried to ask support but the case No 42187331 was closed when I ran out of time trying to find my receipt.

Not that knowledgeable, but I know how to use menu etc when booting up.

I thought it best to try the community in my quest.

Model: RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: I have a back up drive from a previous Nas and wish to put it in a new spare Ready Nas Duo

@DaveOldr wrote:

Hi. I have a back up drive from a previous NAS. Unsure if it was taken from my RN104 or my ReadyNas Duo.

Is this a USB backup drive?  Or is it an old internal drive that was installed in the NAS?

Message 2 of 13
DaveOldr
Aspirant

Hi. It is an old (2015) backup from my NAS. Unfortunately, I am unsure if it is from a ReadyNas Duo or a RN 104.

Message 3 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

@DaveOldr wrote:

Hi. It is an old (2015) backup from my NAS. Unfortunately, I am unsure if it is from a ReadyNas Duo or a RN 104.

Which does not answer the question as to whether it was an external or internal drive.

If it was external, as a "backup" drive typically is, it doesn't matter which one it came from.  Just hook it back up externally, and either NAS can read it.

If this is from some ill-advised backup scheme created by exchanging internal RAID drives, then it very much does matter.  Yes, your Duo will destroy the data if it's from the 104.  The 104 won't do the same, it'll complain about a "dirty" drive if it was from the Duo.  So, you could put it (alone) into your 104 and see if it boots.

I believe the OS and swap partition sizes are different between those models, too.  So a quick peek at that via Windows volume manager and a USB dock could help ID it.  @StephenB should be able to tell you the sizes.  I no longer have anything running OS4.1.x.

Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I believe the OS and swap partition sizes are different between those models, too.  So a quick peek at that via Windows volume manager and a USB dock could help ID it.  @StephenB should be able to tell you the sizes.  I no longer have anything running OS4.1.x.

The Duo's OS partition is 2 GB, the RN100's would be 4 GB.   The swap in the Duo is 256 MB; the RN100's swap should be about 512 MB.

Message 5 of 13
DaveOldr
Aspirant

Hi. 

(Thought I had previously put the following on this conversation thread, but cannot see it anywhere).

Sorry.

Yes it was an internal Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB drive. It was quite likely to have been taken from the Duo but as the drive was removed back in 2015, I cannot be completely certain as it could well have been taken from our 104! Unlikely, but I can't take the chance as I really need to salvage the data. 

You say that the 104 will not wipe the drive (?), so to try this out before putting my precious internal drive that I want to retrieve data from, I set up a test blank internal drive on my Duo (OS 4.1.16) and saved data in a folder. I then closed down and moved the test drive into a spare RN104 (OS 6.10.2). It checked the root and then put the NAS 104 into safe mode.

RAIDar is showing that it is Volume unknown: Raid level unknown, inactive; 0MB (0%) of 0MB used.

Where do I go from here to try to retrieve the test data? If I can manage this, then I can then try the drive with the precious data next. Bear in mind that I have fairly limited knowledge in all this.

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@DaveOldr wrote:

You say that the 104 will not wipe the drive (?),

@Sandshark said the RN104 wouldn't wipe the drive - but he did NOT say that the RN104 would let you access the data on the drive.  It won't.

Since you can't risk losing the data, then I suggest that you connect the drive to a Windows PC (using either SATA or a USB adapter/dock). 

Then you could look at the partition sizes in the Windows Disk Manager as we suggested above, and figure out which NAS the disk came from (or if it didn't come from either NAS).  Or you could download ReclaiMe ( https://www.reclaime.com/ ), and see if that finds your files.  If it does, you could purchase it and offload the data.

Part of the puzzle here is that if the drive came out of the Duo, then it also matters whether it was the primary disk or the mirror.  In the case of the Duo, they are formatted differently.  I don't know if ReclaiMe or R-Studio for Windows can get the data off the mirror - I do know that R-linux for Windows can't.  And R-Studio won't get the data off an RN104 volume (since it doesn't support btrfs).

Message 7 of 13
DaveOldr
Aspirant

Hi.

Thanks for the info.

Glad you raised that question here.

It is almost certain that i took it from the second slot in the Duo and then replaced with a new drive which then mirored the first slot. I only ever had two drives and am certain that I would not have taken the primary one out. I took it out as a back up if the drives failed and was certainly lacking in the fundamentals and structure of NAS drives.

Will be interesting if anyone out there has managed to get data from a mirror drive.

I do have a USB/ adapter dock for reading old laptop drives and I know someone that can help with looking at the partition sizes etc in the Windows Disk Manager that you mentioned. Thanks again. 

Message 8 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Putting the drive in the 104 first is just a test.  If you get the ame result as form your test drive, then it's from the Duo, asuming it doid come from one of them and is not just bad.  Looking at the partition sizes will verify.

If it did come from your Duo, then you shouldn't need recovery software.  Just put it alone in the Duo and you should see it as a degraded volume from which you can copy the files or to which you can add a second drive to re-gain redundancy.

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

If it did come from your Duo, then you shouldn't need recovery software.  Just put it alone in the Duo and you should see it as a degraded volume from which you can copy the files or to which you can add a second drive to re-gain redundancy.

Yes, that will work if it came from the duo and is still intact.

The only risk of loss would be if it did not.  And of course you know it didn't come from the RN104.

Message 10 of 13
DaveOldr
Aspirant

set Hi, I have tried the faulty drive in the 104 and it went to safe mode, so based on that, I then tried it in the Duo and  Raidar is showing a corrupt root and unable to get access to the NAS. The NAS Blue light is pulsing and the Green lights are blinking 3 times and then 3 fast blinks!? I will leave it on tonight and see what happens in the morning in case it is in any process. Unsure how to proceed as when you click on this NAS Duo on Raidar, the setup and Browse fades so that I cannot connect to it. 

Message 11 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Unfortunately, "corrupt root" can mean that it was once OK and something went wrong or it can mean the NAS mis-identified the drive as being from a similar NAS.  If it's the former, than an OS re-install will likely fix the problem.  But if it's the latter, probably meaning that the drive really is from the 104, an OS  re-install on a Duo is not a good idea.

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@DaveOldr wrote:

set Hi, I have tried the faulty drive in the 104 and it went to safe mode, so based on that, I then tried it in the Duo and  Raidar is showing a corrupt root and unable to get access to the NAS. 

That won't work. 

If you need to off-load data, you could:

• connect the disk to a linux PC, install BTRFS, and mount the disk manually. 
  • connect the disk to a Windows PC and use ReclaiMe software (https://www.reclaime.com/)
  • put the disk in the RN104, and use Netgear paid support (my.netgear.com)

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements