× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I'm trying to add a file to one of the Disk folders but don't have permission

roynicho
Tutor

I'm trying to add a file to one of the Disk folders but don't have permission

It is only from my laptop... and obviously I use that quite a bit

I have tried to change the permissions on the laptoip but to no avail.

I can access and have full contriol from two desktops that I also use.

Just the laptop giving me problems   the user for the laptop sems to have the same permissions as all the other users

Can an yone advise or help.

Regadrs

Roy N.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: I'm trying to add a file to one of the Disk folders but don't have permission

You can reset the permissions in a share by selecting the "cifs" icon for the share in the share list, and then the "advanced options" on the upper right.

Then check the box next to the highlighted section below:

reset_permissions.png

Though you don't need to use nobody/nogroup for the owner/group, it is a reasonable choice if the share is open to all users on your system.

After checking the box, click on "apply" in the lower right.  The checkbox will immediately clear, and the operation will proceed in the background.  When it is complete, you will get a browser popup (it will also be in the log).

In addition, check that the workgroup setting on the NAS matches the workgoup settings on the PCs.

The NAS workgroup setting is found here:

NAS workgroup.png

On Windows 10, if you type "change workgroup name" into the windows search bar, you should see a "change workgroup name" control panel app icon appear.  Click on that, and you can see/change your PC workgroup.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
roynicho
Tutor

It's a  

NAS RNU4000

forgot to add that

Regards

Roy N.

Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Are the PCs running Windows?  

Either way, what OS are they running (e.g., windows 7, windows 10, etc).

Message 3 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello roynicho,

Are you adding a file to a specific share on the NAS?

You might want to check the permission of that share, if it has Read-only and has host names or IP address in the Hosts allowed field and Allow guest access is not ticked  then you may need to change it .

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

I'd also suggest using the user credentials from one of the desktop PCs on the laptop, and see if that resolves the problem.

But it would still be useful to know what OS is running on the three PCs.

Message 5 of 8
roynicho
Tutor

Windows 10 running on two Pc's Windows 7 on the third.

One of the AWindows 10 and the Windows 7 have no problems.

The second Windows 10... which is my laptop...   I can access but can not add or remove any files.

The CIFS is set to Read/Write

I'll recheck and try the User Credentials form the other PC's

Regards

Roy N.

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

You can reset the permissions in a share by selecting the "cifs" icon for the share in the share list, and then the "advanced options" on the upper right.

Then check the box next to the highlighted section below:

reset_permissions.png

Though you don't need to use nobody/nogroup for the owner/group, it is a reasonable choice if the share is open to all users on your system.

After checking the box, click on "apply" in the lower right.  The checkbox will immediately clear, and the operation will proceed in the background.  When it is complete, you will get a browser popup (it will also be in the log).

In addition, check that the workgroup setting on the NAS matches the workgoup settings on the PCs.

The NAS workgroup setting is found here:

NAS workgroup.png

On Windows 10, if you type "change workgroup name" into the windows search bar, you should see a "change workgroup name" control panel app icon appear.  Click on that, and you can see/change your PC workgroup.

Message 7 of 8
roynicho
Tutor

I've done those with the excep[tion of Security Mode

I have the NAS Ultra 4 not 6

The system now seems to be working

Many thanks

Regadrs

Roy N/

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation