× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IP address NAS not reachable by new modem ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RND2000

hesc01
Aspirant

IP address NAS not reachable by new modem ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RND2000

Dear all,

I have an old readyNAS which has always been reachable on my Mac. I went over to a new provider and got a new modem. RAIDAR shows my NAS and its fixed IP-address. However, the IP-address is not reachable by the administration page on RAIDAR. Raidar suggests to control the network settings.

My router software shows all devices, including the NAS device MAC address, but no connecting IP address to the NAS. The IP address seems not to fit in the range of IP addresses of my router. 

Do you have an idea how to reach the admin software of my NAS?

Thanks on advance,

Henk

Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Re: IP address NAS not reachable by new modem ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RND2000

@hesc01 wrote:

The IP address seems not to fit in the range of IP addresses of my router. 

That is a common problem - people who use static address frequently forget to set them back to use DHCP before switching routers.  Most routers have a way to reserve DHCP addresses - that is a better approach than assigning a static IP.

Options are

1. reset the router's LAN addresses to match the old router (done in the router settings)
  2. do an OS reinstall using the boot menu of the NAS.

Instructions for using the boot menu menu are found on page 14 here: 

Be careful not to do a factory default by mistake - that would destroy your data.

In addition to setting the network configuration back to DHCP, this will also reset the NAS admin password.  If the NAS is running 4.2.x firmware, it will be reset to netgear1.  If you converted it to run OS-6, then it will be reset to password.

If you haven't accessed the admin page for some months (and you are running 4.2.x firmware), then you might also run into an SSL protocol error.  More information on dealing with that problem is here:

Message 2 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Another, possibly easier, solution is to switch the Ethernet port.  If you didn't change that port to use a static address (and why would you when it was unused), then the NAS will get a new IP address via DHCP, allowing you to gain access.

Message 3 of 15
hesc01
Aspirant

Thank you for your quick answers.

However,

3. After changing the ethernet port RAIDAR cannot find the NAS anymore. 

1. I cannot extend the ip-address: it is outside the allowable range of the router.

2. I tried to reinstall the OS of the NAS according to the given link, but it does not work: the IP address does not change, so I think nothing has happened. I cannot reach the admin page in RAIDAR.

Do you have suggestions how to proceed?

Thanks in advance,

Henk

Message 4 of 15
hesc01
Aspirant

LS,

Finally the upgrade to a new OS seems to work. I can go to the admin page https://192.168.2.60/admin/

However, it seems to be an unsafe site. I can open it, I see the page but nothing happens when I press the buttons.

Do you have an idea how to proceed? I used 3 browsers: Safari, FireFox and Chrome.

Thanks in advance,

Henk

Message 5 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

It "seems to be unsafe" because the browser developers fail to recognize that there is little chance that a local-only IP address will have a fake security certificate and because there is no way to generate anything but a self-signed certificate for an internal-only address.  Your NAS, thus, has what the browsers consider a potential for a fake site with as fake certificate.

You have to click through that warning.  In order to be able to do that, you may need to change your security settings.

Message 6 of 15
hesc01
Aspirant

I followed your suggestions and changed security for visiting sites. For some reason I am now able to see my shares. However, I am not able to visit the admin page 192.168.2.60/admin and change settings etc. I do not know how to proceed...

Thanks,

Henk

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@hesc01 wrote:

I followed your suggestions and changed security for visiting sites. For some reason I am now able to see my shares. However, I am not able to visit the admin page 192.168.2.60/admin and change settings etc. I do not know how to proceed...

Are you getting an SSL Version or Cipher Mismatch error? 

If you are, then see this:

Message 8 of 15
hesc01
Aspirant

No, I do not get any message. For some reason I once saw the complete interface for admin, but no button was active. I even am not able to see that interface again.
Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@hesc01 wrote:
No, I do not get any message. For some reason I once saw the complete interface for admin, but no button was active. I even am not able to see that interface again.

Can you post a screenshot of what you do see?

Message 10 of 15
hesc01
Aspirant

Scherm­afbeelding 2022-12-27 om 18.19.07.png

Message 11 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@hesc01 wrote:

Scherm­afbeelding 2022-12-27 om 18.19.07.png

It's possible that the vpd became corrupted.

Only Netgear can fix that - I'm tagging the mods ( @Marc_V and @JeraldM ), hopefully they will help you as a courtesy.

Message 12 of 15
hesc01
Aspirant

Thank you very much!
Message 13 of 15
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the ping @StephenB!

Hi @hesc01,

Please boot the NAS to Tech Support Mode (for instructions: see KB article here).

Afterwards, please provide the debug code (you can find it using RAIDar) and also the label of the NAS showing its serial number and model (typically found at the bottom or rear of the unit) via private message.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 15
hesc01
Aspirant

Dear Gerald,

Do you have any idea how to proceed?

Thank you on forehand for your answer.

Kind regards,

Henk