× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Inactive volumes - data not available

stigpepper
Tutor

Inactive volumes - data not available

Hi,

My readynas could not be found on the network so I hard rebooted the box.  After rebooting my volumes are unavailable and I'm receiving the error messages below: -

Volume data   RAID Level 5, Inactive; 10.9TB (100%) of 10.9TB used

Volume data   RAID Level unknown, Inactive; 0MB of 0MB used

When I logon to the admin page it is asking me to remove active volumes 1, 2, 3 & 4,

The box is running Firmware 6.9.2 and I've 2 6TB, 1 4TB & 1 2TB discs installed.  

Also the error occured during normal usage, I haven't made any recent changes to the box.

I've downloaded my logfiles but cannot upload a zip file so please let me know if you need me to upload any of the logs to investigate further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Stig

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried booting to volume read-only mode? If your volume mounts in that the next step would be to make sure you have an up to date backup.

Are quotas enabled on your data volume (note quotas are used for showing space consumed by individual shares and snapshots, so even if you haven't set a quota on a share, quotas may still be enabled on your data volume)? If so, it's possible an OS Re-install may help as that would disable quotas on the data volume.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @stigpepper

Do you have updated backup of your data?

I would advise contacting NETGEAR Support and log a case so they can assist you with getting your volumes back.

If you purchased the device brand new between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016 you Chat support available.

Note: if Data recovery is needed they may charge for it.

Hope this helps!

Regards!

Message 2 of 12
stigpepper
Tutor

Hi Marc_V,

Unfortunately I purchased the product in 2013 so I’m not entitled to support. The last time I needed support it cost around $180 for a support subscription and data recovery.

I’ve a backup from December when I upgraded one of the discs but I would have saved quite a bit of data between now and then.

Due to the cost of support I reckon I’ll destroy the volumes and restore the data, unless you can think of any other options.

Cheers Stephen
Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me a copy of your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 4 of 12
stigpepper
Tutor

Hi Mdgm,

I've sent the log files by email.  Please let me know if you require further information.  Thanks Stig

Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried booting to volume read-only mode? If your volume mounts in that the next step would be to make sure you have an up to date backup.

Are quotas enabled on your data volume (note quotas are used for showing space consumed by individual shares and snapshots, so even if you haven't set a quota on a share, quotas may still be enabled on your data volume)? If so, it's possible an OS Re-install may help as that would disable quotas on the data volume.

Message 6 of 12
stigpepper
Tutor

Hi Mdgm,

Great news, I'm able to access the data in the volumes in read only mode, which is a relief.  I'll kick off the backups to ensure I've a copy of all my files. 

I'm unsure if I'm using quotas but I'll attempt the OS install when I've backed up the data and will confirm if that has resolved the issue.  Alternatively, I noticed that firmware 6.9.3 is available, would upgrading the firmware do the same thing?

FYI the backup will take a while to complete, so it might be a day or two before I respond.

Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated. 

Cheers, Stig

Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No a firmware update won’t do the same thing as an OS Re-install.

An OS Re-install resets some network settings, resets the admin password and disables quotas on the volume and extracts the OS over the top of itself.

A firmware update doesn’t reset settings or disable quotas on the volume.

If the OS Re-install resolves it, it would then be available to download a fresh set of logs, update the firmware and then download a fresh set of logs again.

Message 8 of 12
stigpepper
Tutor

Hi mdgm,

I've successfully backed up my data, performed an OS reinstall and my volumes are now accessible. 

New log files have been downloaded and submitted via email, I'd appreciate if you would review the logs and confirm if all is in order.

Cheers, Stig
Message 9 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks good. You may wish to update to 6.9.3.

Message 10 of 12
stigpepper
Tutor

Hi mdgm,

I've upgraded the firmware to v6.9.3 and everything seems to be working as expected.  Thanks a mill for your help and support as I'd feared I would've lost approx. 3 months data or would needed to pay for netgear again for extended support and data recovery.

To give me more resiliance going forward I've bought an old HP Proliant server which I'm going to use for backup purposes but hope to be able to use one of the 6TB HDD's from the ReadyNAS.

I'd appreciate if you would confirm if I can swap the 6TB disc with a 2TB disc or does it need to be a like for like replacement.

Thanks Stig 

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@stigpepper wrote:

To give me more resiliance going forward I've bought an old HP Proliant server which I'm going to use for backup purposes but hope to be able to use one of the 6TB HDD's from the ReadyNAS.

No.  You can't shrink a RAID volume from the web ui.  You'd need to destroy the volume, replace the disk, and create a new one.  Then recreate your shares and reload the data from backup.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements