× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.

Initial Sync took 14 hours?

sg86
Aspirant

Initial Sync took 14 hours?

I've just put in 4 x 4TB 00'ed drives and it's taking 14hours to "sync", well nothing should be syncing lets be clear, why is it taking so long to initlaise a RAID5 array?

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Initial Sync took 14 hours?

@sg86 wrote:

I've just put in 4 x 4TB 00'ed drives and it's taking 14hours to "sync", well nothing should be syncing lets be clear, why is it taking so long to initlaise a RAID5 array?

RAID creates a virtual disk (block storage); the file system is built on top of that.  So creating/syncing the RAID array takes the same amount of time when the file system is empty as it does when it is full. 

Therefore, 16 TB of disk I/O is needed to sync the array (even with no data) - 12 TB to read the data blocks, and 4 TB to write the parity blocks.  That takes a while.  If it takes 14 hours, it will be processing ~300 MB/sec.

This could be faster if the system assumed the disks were zeroed.  But it doesn't make any assumptions about what's on the drives.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements