× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Installed a ReadyNAS with 4x2TB Drives and selected XRAID2. Only getting 1.8TB storage.

kleinma
Aspirant

Installed a ReadyNAS with 4x2TB Drives and selected XRAID2. Only getting 1.8TB storage.

As the subject says, after a brand new installation of a ReadyNAS (it was an older model, but never was setup), and 4 unopened 2TB drives, the capacity showing on the LCD readout on the device, as well as via Windows when browsing the share is only 1.8TB. The firmware was updated to the latest one as well. Any thoughts on why this would occur. It isn't doing 4x redundancy is it? I have another even older (when it was still infrant that owned ReadyNAS) that is setup with the same drive capacities (but XRAID v1 since it is older) and we have the proper allocation of storage on that one.

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Installed a ReadyNAS with 4x2TB Drives and selected XRAID2. Only getting 1.8TB storage.

What model, and what firmware?  Also, what drives are you using?

It should 5.4 TB of course.  Are you seeing all the disks in the array in Frontview?

Message 2 of 8
kleinma
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. The unit is a ReadyNAS NVX and the firmware that was installed is (if I remember right) 4.2.28. Since this is an older unit, it was indicated this is the final firmware release for this unit. The drives are Seagate 2TB drives. Not sure of exact model numbers (This was setup at a client location the other day). Everything was originally purchased together from Dell, so I am assuming they were selling drives with it that were compatible.

This is the model

http://www.readynas.com/?p=1545

I thought at first maybe it was just the share that was set with a quota or something and that is why the storage was limited, however it seems the front LCD also indicates this 1.8TB of storage as well, which I will not assume it is what it sees for the entire "c" volume.

As far as setting it up, it isn't like there were a bunch of options, it asked what type of RAID, and recommended XRAID2, which is what I left selected. It them proceeded to do its setup process and when it was done, I was able to do any management functions and put data on the share. All 4 drives show in RAIDAR, in the admin panel, and via the LED lights on the front of the unit.

Message 3 of 8
kleinma
Aspirant

That is weird because I typed out a big long reply, and posted it, but then it seems to have vanished. So I will try again.

Anyway, we installed x86 4.2.28 which is claimed to be the latest and final release of firmware. Not sure what "frontview" is, I think the web interface is called "RAIDiator", and the windows client app is RAIDar. Both of those show 4 drives, and the LED lights on the front of the unit indicate all 4 drives are present and good. The setup I walked through was basically all left at the defaults and everything works just fine the best I can tell, short of this storage mystery. The drives are Seagate 2TB drives from retail boxes. Not sure of exact model numbers, but the client got it from Dell (both the NAS and the drives) so I would assume Dell was selling drives that were compatible. I mean if the drives were not compatible, I would expect nothing to work. Thanks for your input.

Message 4 of 8
kleinma
Aspirant

Well now both my replies are showing up. Oh well.

In the mean time, I talked to the client, and I got a screenshot to hopefully shed some light on things. So the first picture is my personal ReadyNAS, which is a bit older, but as you can see, it is set to XRAID with 4x2TB and the allocations seem correct and the storage seems correct. The second screenshot is of the client's ReadyNAS, and everything is identical except for the fact that his disk space is much lower and his configuration is XRAID2 versus my XRAID.

my_nas.png

customer_nas.png

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Is the report of 200 MB of data on the NAS correct?

Perhaps back up the data and do a factory reset.

Message 6 of 8
kleinma
Aspirant

Yes, because we just set this up yesterday and I mentioned to not put stuff on it yet in the event that we need to do a reset. So are you with me at least that this is NOT normal and it should be reporting more than 1.8TB with what is in that screenshot and the RAID selection?

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@kleinma wrote:

So are you with me at least that this is NOT normal and it should be reporting more than 1.8TB with what is in that screenshot and the RAID selection?

Yes.  It should be 5.4TiB with single redundancy.

You could try a reboot before the reset, and see if that makes a difference.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements