× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent DLNA service to televisions

CH-Hawaii
Aspirant

Intermittent DLNA service to televisions

I am having intermittent service to my TV's, using hardwired CAT5, with DLNA service from ReadyNAS and Synology media server.  I don't know where to look or who to ask for a possible solution.  NetGear has their troubleshooting so narrowed down that they don't cover overall system issues well even if the equipment is NetGear products.  

I have a 24-port managed prosafe switch JGE524e.  I suspect it is somehow the root of the problem.  I never had issues like this with my older Asante 24 port switch.  But it failed and I had to replace it.  

The TV's, both of them do show the media files sometimes.  The connection doesn't seem to correlate to any external event.  TV's either show the connections or the media screen is blank.  Both TV's behave the same.  One has connection so does the other.  

One clue is once I make a connection the TV will stream video indefinately.  If I stop the video streeming, sometimes the files will still show and othertimes they will dissapear.  If I check randomly, they could reappear anytime.  If I halt the stream without closing the specific file viewing, the stream (movie video) will continue at a later time even if the media files dissapear.  The TV is connected by CAT5 and it will always play PRIME or NETFLIX steams with never an issue.  I have two media servers ReadyNAS NV+ and a Synology DS1813+.  They will either both show on the LG-TV screen or one or the other or nothing may show on screen.  The Aquis 70 smart TV has similar results.  

First question is the Prosafe JGS524.  I am running it unconfigured although it is a smart switch.  Is there a setting I don't know about that might cause this kind of behavior?  

Second has anyone seen or heard of this kind of behavior with a Prosafe switch.  Finger points at the switch as I never remember having any issues when I had the Asante smart switch in use.

I suspect the problem is initiating a connection.  I have played with the connection time on the Synology.  It didn't make a difference.  

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Hi Chris,

IGMP snooping is unlikley the cluprit ... more likely the "Block Unknown Multicast Address" which network admins often tend to tick when IGMP Snooping is enabled.

More and more ISP are offering IPTV, so there is no way around having light managed switches, and a properly working IGMP Multicast snooping - otherwise all switch ports and radio interfaces are flooded with multicast (e.g. live TV) traffic.

-Kurt

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Just to make sure I'm getting this right - the problem started happening when you replaced the switch, and it happens on all your TVs with media sourced from both NAS.  No other equipment changes.  Is that correct?

I don't have that particular switch, I use a GS728TPv2 myself.  

• Is your cabling really CAT5 or is it CAT5e or CAT6?  
  • Are the TVs using gigabit ethernet or fast ethernet?
  • Have you enabled jumbo frames on either of the NAS?
  • Is there a green ethernet (power saving) setting on the switch?  If so, is it enabled?

I suspect the switch will show packet loss statistics for each switch port.  You might also want to look at them.

If the TVs are fast ethernet, you might also enable ethernet flow control on the switch (it probably is disabled by default).

Message 2 of 9
CH-Hawaii
Aspirant

Yes and no.

Yes it happens on ALL the TV's.

Yes I noticed it after I changed the switch.

Yes it happens with both NAS units.

Additionally, it never happens when displaying video on my PC's or MAC machines.

As far as changes, my older router NetGear WNDR4500 just burned its power cord connection so it was replaced with an ARLO router.  However I was having the same problem with the WNDR4500 and replacing it with the ARLO didn't make a change.

I have added devices to the ports of the JGS524e switch.  So it is possible one of these devices might be a culprut, but extremely unlikely.  

I am using all CAT5e cable.  As stated, everything on the network is absolutely solid, not even a slight issue with speed or delays.  The RAID devices have static ip addresses.  I also assigned a static ip address to the LG-TV set and this didn't make a difference.  

My switch settings: (note: the ARLO router does the DHCP function for the devices in need)

Product Name   JGS524Ev2
Switch Name     
MAC Address     b0:39:56:73:be:16
Firmware Version  2.0.1.40
DHCP Mode           Refresh
IP Address           (Static)
Subnet Mask    
Gateway Address   

Loop detection  Disabled
Broadcast Forwarding  Dynamic
Power Saving Mode   Disabled
QoS Mode  802.1p
No data rate limit on any port
There are no crc errors on any port associated with TV or NAS units
IGMP Snooping Enabled all others associated with snooping disabled
There appears to be no control over large frames, ie the switch just handles anything thrown at it in whatever framesize it gets.
If no one has any ideas, I'm going to try a few more things.
I just went to media with my LG-TV.  The RAID media servers are present.  I tried viewing on both media servers with success.  I tried interrupting the services and going back and forth and all worked perfect.  I know it will fail given time.  It always does.  
What I did do was login into my Synology NAS and messed with the media settings, changed the time from 900 to 800 to 900 to get the server to reset and do a change.  Both NAS units were there. Both played video.  My guess is tonight they will be gone again.  Both NAS units are programmed to power down the disk drives, but this has always been the case.  Again, I welcome any ideas.  I am very familiar with networks and how they work.  Anyone that can contribute something to try please do.  I will figure this out, but it might take a while synergy works solving these wierd issues.  One more thing I haven't looked at is my DSM port numbers.  I will check if the two NAS units have a conflict here.  
Thanks Everyone
Chris
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@CH-Hawaii wrote:

As far as changes, my older router NetGear WNDR4500 just burned its power cord connection so it was replaced with an ARLO router.

Do you mean an Orbi?  Arlo doesn't make routers.

While you're double-checking stuff, you might want to confirm that you don't have a duplicate IP address (and making sure the DHCP range doesn't overlap with some of your static addresses).

Message 4 of 9
CH-Hawaii
Aspirant

Yes, mind freeze... I meant Orbi Router.

I have no ip conflicts.

I have Synology DS1813+ on port 2 of switch ip 192.168.0.190

I have ReadyNAS NV+ on port 6 of switch ip 192.168.0.194

I have LG-TV on port 7 of switch ip 192.168.0.210

I have router on port 1 of switch (Orbi) ip 192.168.0.254

All other ports have various connections with exception of 24 open

I have been trying various things in attempt to pin down where the problem might be.  I am still suspicious of the NetGear Prosafe JGS524ev2 switch.  This is why.  

I lost the connection after several hours of ok service (roughly 4 hrs).  So I powered down only the switch and the ReadyNAS NV+ came back online.  I disconnected the ReadyNAS and powered down the switch, nothing came online.  Plugged in the ReadyNAS and in a few minutes it came back online.  Powered the swich down multiple times and always the ReadyNAS comes back online (doesn't mater if the Synology is on the network).  

The ReadyNAS has the option of large frames and it is enabled.  The Synology does not have the large frame option.  Synology DMA is set 5000 unsecure and 5001 secure.  ReadyNAS doesn't have this, there is a range.  I think this is not the problem area.  

It bothers me that powering down the switch effects visability of the ReadyNAS.  There is something going on here and I can't put my finger on it yet.  Any ideas?  Poweering down the RAID units is doable, but not a nice thing to do.  Again, I have disconnected them and not found any evidence that I'm on track to figuring this out.

Thanks

Chris

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

DLNA discovery uses multicast.  The servers will send multicast NOTIFY packets when they connect to the network, and periodically after that.  Those packets announce to the TV that those servers exist.  The TV client also will send multicast queries out, and the servers will respond to those too.  Powering the switch off/on is likely triggering the transmission of new NOTIFY packets from the DLNA servers.  It would also clear any state in the IGMP snooping.

I suggest disabling IGMP snooping - this does relate to the distribution of multicast packets, so if it is misbehaving it could result in discovery issues.

If that doesn't change anything, try connecting the TV and one NAS directly to the router, and see if that changes the behavior.

Message 6 of 9
CH-Hawaii
Aspirant

IGMP snooping seems to be the culprut.  This is a very subtile problem and I thank you for the suggestion.  I turned it off and restarted the switch.  The DLNA servers appeared on all my TV's and I was able to play video everywhere on both NAS units.  So you are absolutely correct, the IGMP that is enabled with a new Prosafe switch will cause discovery problems on this JGS524ev2 model switch.  If it causes problems with this managed switch, it may also cause problems on other models depending on who programmed the firmware.  

Problem seems to be solved.  Will watch it over a peroid of time to see if any issues arise again.  I didn't says this, but I'm pretty familiar with networking and internet.  Have been involved as an engineer for many years.  However knowledge doesn't always get you out of these types of jambs.  This could have been very toiugh to tackle without being able to narrow down to the switch with pretty good certaintity.  

Hopefully this post might help others that have DLNA discovery problems.

Thank You Again

Chris

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad I was able to help.

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Hi Chris,

IGMP snooping is unlikley the cluprit ... more likely the "Block Unknown Multicast Address" which network admins often tend to tick when IGMP Snooping is enabled.

More and more ISP are offering IPTV, so there is no way around having light managed switches, and a properly working IGMP Multicast snooping - otherwise all switch ports and radio interfaces are flooded with multicast (e.g. live TV) traffic.

-Kurt

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements