× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent Freezing While Accessing Files Stored on NAS using Windows 10

Beamur14
Aspirant

Intermittent Freezing While Accessing Files Stored on NAS using Windows 10

Hi All,

New to the forum. I'm having a bit of a strange issue with my NAS ReadyNAS 212 on FW: 6.6.1. When I try to play music (via VLC playback) or even access files on my NAS it freezes file access for a brief period of time (about 5-10 seconds). This repeats very often (about 1 time every 30-60 seconds) and I'm definitely getting annoyed as the synology unit (ds214play) I came from didn't have this issue with a simple windows network mount on windows 10. Any help would be appreciated and I can provide logs or other information as needed.

Thanks,

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Beamur14
Aspirant

Re: Intermittent Freezing While Accessing Files Stored on NAS using Windows 10

I may have found out what the issue was by accident.

I decided to run a ping test to the NAS to see if maybe something with the network connection was the problem. Well I quickly found out that my computer was communicating with the NAS via IPv6 instead of IPv4. This is most likely due to me recently purchasing and setting up a Netgear Smart Switch (GS108Tv2) so it looks like it was preferring to communicate via IPv6. I turned off IPv6 on the NAS and things are looking much better now! 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Beamur14
Aspirant

I may have found out what the issue was by accident.

I decided to run a ping test to the NAS to see if maybe something with the network connection was the problem. Well I quickly found out that my computer was communicating with the NAS via IPv6 instead of IPv4. This is most likely due to me recently purchasing and setting up a Netgear Smart Switch (GS108Tv2) so it looks like it was preferring to communicate via IPv6. I turned off IPv6 on the NAS and things are looking much better now! 

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

@Beamur14 wrote:

Well I quickly found out that my computer was communicating with the NAS via IPv6 instead of IPv4. 

Newer versions of windows will use linklocal ipv6 - I don't think it was the switch itself, though it might play a contributing role.

Netgear should really fix this - ipv6 should work seamlessly in all their products.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements