× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Interrupted resynchronisation confused Readynas

rawsystems
Aspirant

Interrupted resynchronisation confused Readynas

Hi,

I hope someone can help because I am not sure what to do next.

I recently bought a Readynas RN204.

I installed 2 x 2TB Disks and copied all the data from an old storage unit to it.

I then bought another 2 x 2TB Disks and installed them.

RN204 and said it was resynching, then noticed it was RAID5, XRAID was enabled which I didn't realise.

I shutdown the RN204 and removed the 2 new disks and rebooted.

After a long nervous wait as it said Booting, it has come back up.

XRAID is disabled but the RN204 is still resynching with another 27 hours to go.

But, even though disks 3 and 4 are ejected, it still thinks they are connected?

Ideally, my plan is to have XRAID enabled so that when re-insert the two new disks, the RN204 will ask me what I want to do. I can then say that I want to create RAID2 out of those disks, then create new shares, copy everything over from the original RAID5 to the new RAID2 and once copied, delete the RAID5 and re-create it as a RAID2.

Will that work or will I have to do anything else?

If anyone else has been through this, your advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Rob

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
rawsystems
Aspirant

Re: Interrupted resynchronisation confused Readynas

Hi, 

Thank you for your response.

I didn't want to interrupt resynchronisation so I left it to complete (took ages).

The RAID 5 array is now resynchronised across one volume of the four disks.

Further research led me to the common reference that the RAID type of a NAS cannot be changed without destroying the volume and recreating it, so my plan is to back-up the entire NAS in two separate locations, destroy the volume and recreate the volume as a new type.

My mistake earlier, I meant to say RAID1 (mirrored) but as I have four disks, I am actually going to go for RAID10 which provides the same benefit as RAID1 whilst improving speed of access too.

So thank you all for your responses, at least it helped me understand RAID better and at least I know have a plan.

Thanks

Rob

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

There is no RAID 2 support in any ReaydNAS (and I think you either mistyped or are confused on what RAID-2 is).

At this point you'll need to back up the data, and then destroy the current volume.  It might be easiest to do a factory reset, then switch to flexraid and create the volumes/RAID arrays you want.

Message 2 of 5
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rawsystems,

If the system is in Flex-RAID, newly added disks won't automatically resync with your current volume. From there you can use the newly added disk/s to create another volume of its own which is I believe what you wanted. Try StephenB's suggestion and let us know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
rawsystems
Aspirant

Hi, 

Thank you for your response.

I didn't want to interrupt resynchronisation so I left it to complete (took ages).

The RAID 5 array is now resynchronised across one volume of the four disks.

Further research led me to the common reference that the RAID type of a NAS cannot be changed without destroying the volume and recreating it, so my plan is to back-up the entire NAS in two separate locations, destroy the volume and recreate the volume as a new type.

My mistake earlier, I meant to say RAID1 (mirrored) but as I have four disks, I am actually going to go for RAID10 which provides the same benefit as RAID1 whilst improving speed of access too.

So thank you all for your responses, at least it helped me understand RAID better and at least I know have a plan.

Thanks

Rob

Message 4 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rawsystems,

We greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know that the information we provided has helped resolve your issue.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements