× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is ReadyNAS leaving the small business market?

delange
Tutor

Is ReadyNAS leaving the small business market?

Hello,

I was in the market for a new 4 bay NAS to replace my ReadyNAS NVX. This NAS has served me well and if it wouldn't for the lack of software upgrades I would still use. It is very well made and has never let me down. 

While shopping for a new NAS, the first place I looked was ReadyNAS. But the available models have shrinked quite a bit since last time I visited the website. The smallest desktop NAS is an 8 bay and there are only two desktop models listed on the website. 

So hence my question: is ReadyNAS leaving the small business market space? 

Thank you,

Pascal

Model: RNDX4000|ReadyNAS NVX Chassis only
Message 1 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@delange wrote:

is ReadyNAS leaving the small business market space? 

Netgear hasn't said, but there is some evidence that might be the case.

Certainly you should be looking at all your options (including other vendors).   Whether they are exiting the business or not, inventory is scarce and often overpriced.

Message 2 of 17
delange
Tutor

I bought a QNAP TS-453 NAS this weekend. The QNAP is definatly a lot faster but that is too expected from a product that is 10 years younger. Build quality wize, the ReadyNAS is in a different leaugue. That is one of the reasons why ReadyNAS was my first choise. 

But anyway, can't look back now. The QNAP does do everything I need it to do.

My NVX is now entering a new phase in its life: it is my new backup device. Every night it will boot up and the QNAP will then dump its backup onto the ReadyNAS. 

Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@delange wrote:

My NVX is now entering a new phase in its life: it is my new backup device. Every night it will boot up and the QNAP will then dump its backup onto the ReadyNAS. 

I use my older NAS similarly.  You might want to run the backup on the NVX - that avoids any glitches if the ReadyNAS takes longer to boot than expected.  Also the NVX will postpone its shutdown if a backup job is running on it.  Of course it can't do that if the QNAP is running the backup script.

FWIW, some legacy ReadyNAS can be converted to run OS-6 firmware.  But the NVX isn't one if those. 

Message 4 of 17
delange
Tutor

Thank you for the tips Stephen. I have a time windows of 10 minutes for the NVX to boot up before the QNAP's schedule kicks in. But I'll look into your suggestions. 

Yeah, I have looked at upgrading my NVX to OS6 but indeed that isn't supported. 

Message 5 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That because netgear failed that market. I made a lot of bad decisions in my life but getting the readynas was the worse. Literally the worse mistake for any IT guy

Message 6 of 17
delange
Tutor

Well, as they say, the grass is always greener on the other side... I now have a QNAP TS-453 as my main NAS. It isn't without its problems either. And thrying to contact support is not straight forward either. 

I would have bought a ReadyNAS again if they had a model that would fit me. 

Anyway  lkxfhmliucdjhlg why do you say that getting a ReadyNAS is one of your worst decisions? Why trouble do you have with it?

Message 7 of 17
NAS2304isbad
Aspirant

Becasue it is terriible, does not work, has an extreme access and permissions issue, and has zero features.

Message 8 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

It works just fine if you do things correctly.  You've been offered help if you provide details of your issue(s), but clearly don't really want it; you just came here to grouse.

Message 9 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@NAS2304isbad wrote:

Becasue it is terriible, does not work, has an extreme access and permissions issue, and has zero features.

And you think that a much more complex NAS does magically solve all your issues? Appears your only answer is to create a new rant account instead of following the most simple troubleshoot information offered, provide information of your RN2304 current status, what you have configured, what you intended to achieve, ... 

And yes: I would put up the very similar answer on another NAS vendor community, too.

Message 10 of 17
NAS2304isbad
Aspirant

I don't no what to tell you. I make a account. I make a share. I give eprmission and access to that newly created user. I go to a computer. I open network. I click on the NAS. It asks for name and password. What I made does not work, never has work and nothing will make it work since I opened it's box and was baffleded that there was no way to secure the drives to the drive caddy and I came on here was told there should have been screws in the box months and motnhs ago. The only account that works is my netgear account. Every and any other account made will not work at all. A working single account NAS for a office? Ha

Message 11 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@NAS2304isbad wrote:

... was baffleded that there was no way to secure the drives to the drive caddy and I came on here was told there should have been screws in the box months and motnhs ago. 

I guess the RR2304 does still use the well proofen disk tray design - indeed requiring cerews to fix either the big 3.5" as well as the smller 2.5" storage blocks. Convinced Netgear can help you out here - these small parts are easily lost.

I _think_ these trays use the "standard" 3.5" HDD screws are #6-32 UNC screws with recessed heads, no extra flat heads required. The local PC shop might be able to help out. If you are in an area of the world where the metric system isn't fully applied yet (the 3.5" HDD have no metric threads for historical reasons going back to 1980 where Seagate introduced the ST-506 5GB HDD in 5.25" full height design) the local hardware store could help out, too. Just in case, the QNAP SCR-HDD35B-96 pack contains these UNC screws with the smallest possible flat head, these fit to almost any tray design. 

@NAS2304isbad wrote:

I don't no what to tell you. I make a account. I make a share. I give eprmission and access to that newly created user. I go to a computer. I open network. I click on the NAS. It asks for name and password. What I made does not work, never has work and nothing will make it work ...

What kind of client computers are we facing here?

Typical reason (leaving the possibility odd usernames and passwords alone) are existing share folder access, either using non-authenticated (so called guest account) or using a different account (e.g. the Netgear Account) which will prohibit another connection from the same client computer to the same NAS. Note: This is not a ReadyNAS thing, much more a client computer limitation. Windows 10 and newer will tell you there is another session active, other clients silently revoke the access.

Good policy would be to create user groups according to the work profile, and grant access rights based on groups. This is much easier to deal with if users in an office change, and the access right ACLs don't have to be rewriten on the complete file and folder tree on each change.

@NAS2304isbad wrote:

The only account that works is my netgear account. Every and any other account made will not work at all. A working single account NAS for a office? Ha

This can't be the plan, indeed. 8-)

Message 12 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@NAS2304isbad wrote:

I don't no what to tell you. I make a account. I make a share. I give eprmission and access to that newly created user. I go to a computer. I open network. I click on the NAS.

What happens if you open Windows File Manager and enter \\nas-ip-address in the address bar (using the actual IP address of the NAS of course)?

Message 13 of 17
NAS2304isbad
Aspirant

I dont understand

I make a user

I can not access the NAS

There is nothign more to it

Message 14 of 17
NAS2304isbad
Aspirant

And it would be totally amazing if their actually support for it

Message 15 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Can you please try the troubleshooting step I suggested and report what happens?

If you want our help, you need to respond by trying the things we are suggesting.

@NAS2304isbad wrote:

And it would be totally amazing if their actually support for it

I believe you purchased a used NAS (otherwise you would have had the disk trays).  Unfortunately Netgear won't support used equipment.

Message 16 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't understand why this is being discussed under this topic.  There were at least two others you created where it would be better discussed.

It sounds to me that you created a ReadyCloud user but you are trying to access the NAS locally.  Local users and ReadyCloud users are different.  But you still give no details in how you did what you say you did, so I'm just guessing, which isn't very efficient.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements