× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is There A Maximum HDD Size For The RN628X?

XrayDoc88
Guide

Is There A Maximum HDD Size For The RN628X?

The online Netgear list only goes up to 16TB drives.  Has anyone tried using an 18TB or 20TB drive yet?

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@XrayDoc88 wrote:

The online Netgear list only goes up to 16TB drives. 

Actually there is one 18 TB drive on the list.  Though they are slow at testing, and any non-SMR NAS-purposed or Enterprise class disk should work.

There is post from last November from @Hawk321 who reported using two different 18 TB models in an RN104: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/RN104-18-TB-HDDs/m-p/2159036

There was also post a couple weeks ago from @SamirD who reported successfully installing an 18 TB WDC disk in their Ultra (running 4.2.28).  Though he was only using 12 TB of the capacity (he mirrored a 12 TB drive).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@XrayDoc88 wrote:

The online Netgear list only goes up to 16TB drives. 

Actually there is one 18 TB drive on the list.  Though they are slow at testing, and any non-SMR NAS-purposed or Enterprise class disk should work.

There is post from last November from @Hawk321 who reported using two different 18 TB models in an RN104: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/RN104-18-TB-HDDs/m-p/2159036

There was also post a couple weeks ago from @SamirD who reported successfully installing an 18 TB WDC disk in their Ultra (running 4.2.28).  Though he was only using 12 TB of the capacity (he mirrored a 12 TB drive).

Message 2 of 10
Hawk321
Apprentice

Yup, the 18 TB drive from Toshiba I mentioned in the posted thread is still working 24/7. The Seagate was also working but it’s older technology and needs more Watt.

As said by Stephen it’s slow but this is because of the NAS CPU/RAM and not the disk. But I use it for Chia and don’t really need the speed.
Message 3 of 10
SamirD
Prodigy

Yep, was only 12TB because the single existing drive in there is a 12TB Exos and I didn't want to have to reconfigure just to test the 18TB drive recognition, but it recognized the 18TB drive correctly and started to mirror the 12TB to the 18TB.  Now that the 16TB drive size barrier has been broken, I'm sure they can take even 20TB and 22TB+ drives when they become available.  In other words, these are infinitely expandable if you're just using them as a plain nas. 🙂

Message 4 of 10
XrayDoc88
Guide

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate the reassurance that 18 TB should work.  I have ordered a Seagate Ironwolf Pro 18TB.  Didn't know about the Toshiba, or I might have gone that route.

Message 5 of 10
SamirD
Prodigy

You're welcome!  Post back and let us know all went well and if you noticed any performance improvements. 🙂

Message 6 of 10
Hawk321
Apprentice

The new Toshiba 18 TB MG09 is the first HDD with the MAMR technology, faster and less power consuming and has some other advantages as well comparing to other 18 TB drives.

https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/eu/storage/product/data-center-enterprise/cloud-scale-capacity/a...

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/storage/56543-toshiba-mg09-18-tb-im-test-die-...
Message 7 of 10
SamirD
Prodigy

Pretty cool.  I had no idea why it was taking so long to break the 16TB mark, and now I know why.  But going down this rabbit hole of research, it seems iron-platinum with copper substrates could increase areal densities quite a bit, pushing drives so sizes multiple times what they are today.

And then the big question will be, can the RN628X take an 80TB drive.  😮  It will be unreal to have nearly 1/2 a PB in my Ultra 6 via 6x 80TB drives. 😄

Message 8 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

The Linux file systems can certainly accomodate that.  Whether or not there is anything in the ReadyNAS GUI or support executables that has a limitation is unknown, as Netgear has not said.

Message 9 of 10
SamirD
Prodigy

Yep, and as long as some of us have some of these units still running, we'll find out as we upgrade. 🙂

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements