× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is backup of a subset of shares possible?

greg_t
Aspirant

Is backup of a subset of shares possible?

Hi,

Is it possible to backup a specified set of shares to a USB drive using Frontview?

We use our ReadyNAS for file sharing as well as system-wide backups. I would like to back up all but the backup share to the external drive.

Is this possible? If so, how? It doesn't look possible via the Frontview interface.

Thanks,
Greg
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

You can't create a backup job for a group of shares.

But you can create a separate backup job for each share in the group, and put them on the same schedule.
Message 2 of 11
greg_t
Aspirant

Ah! That makes a lot of sense. I will do that.

Thank you.
Message 3 of 11
greg_t
Aspirant

Backing up individual shares is not working well. Frontview puts the contents of each share in the root directory of the destination, which means that any files with the same names get clobbered and any directories end up with mixed contents. Unfortunately, this is not an adequate solution for backups.

I am open to other suggestions.

Greg
Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Just use different destination directories for each.
Message 5 of 11
greg_t
Aspirant

For all the time's I've looked at the page, I never noticed that the destination directory box activated when choosing the USB drive.

Thanks for your help.
Message 6 of 11
scottdr
Tutor

Is there a way to create a backup job that back up only specified FOLDERS/FILES within a SHARE? Or is it only possible to backup full Shares?
Message 7 of 11
vandermerwe
Master

No.
You would either need to set separate backups for each folder, or use rsync and exclude folders you don't want to backup.
The other strategy would be to use other backup software on your PC to backup to a USB drive attached to the PC or. Readynas. A bit cumbersome as you need your PC on and it's slow.
Message 8 of 11
greg_t
Aspirant

To be clear (since I was confused about this earlier in the thread), you can create a backup job for an entire share or a specific directory in a share, but need multiple backup jobs for multiple directories. This is cumbersome, but different from only being able to back-up entire shares.

You can also specify which directory on the backup volume to put the directory that you backup.

Greg
Message 9 of 11
vandermerwe
Master

Yes, you can specify whatever path you wish.
For the source you should be able to click browse to set the path.
The destination path needs to be entered manually.
If you click on help in the backup section of Frontview it has some sample paths for different protocols which will help you to enter these correctly.

Why not just backup the whole share? Do you not have enough space?
Message 10 of 11
greg_t
Aspirant

In my case, I don't want to save all of my shares. I use my ReadNAS for non-critical backup of some of my systems and do not need to backup those shares to an external drive.

Greg
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements