× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is firmware 6.10.1 safe to install on ReadyNAS 104?

SirToby
Aspirant

Is firmware 6.10.1 safe to install on ReadyNAS 104?

Is it safe to install this update or will it brick the device again like 6.10.0 HF2 did?

I've already seen posts from NAS users whose devices were bricked by this firmware. I'm a little reluctant to install it to be honest.

Cheers

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @SirToby

Upgrading the RN100 series has an upgrade path to follow if you are on 6.3.x or below

Warnings:

• Devices updated with 6.10.1 firmware should not be downgraded to firmware versions before 6.10.0.    
  • ReadyNAS 102, 104, and 2120 systems must not be updated directly to 6.10.x from 6.3.x or older firmware. They must first be updated to either 6.2.5 or 6.3.5 then to 6.5.2 and then to 6.10.x.    

Upgrading the firmware is safe as long as proper procedure is done. Also, doing backups of your data and checking if you have any disk issues before doing so is also a best practice.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 5
SirToby
Aspirant

Thanks mate but that's not quite what I asked. I had upgraded from 6.9.5 to 6.10.0 HF2 and the device had stopped working. It took some manual intervention on the command line to get it back into working order. 

I just want to know if all will be fine when upgrading from 6.10.0 HF2 or if it requires manual intervention again in order to get it back up again. I never had an issue but the last upgrade was a bit of an eye opener. 

Cheers

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @SirToby, I have a guineapig nas RN104 running fine on 6.10.1 now, while I had issues (not that severe like you) with apps linux-dash and smbplus being on 6.10.0HF2. So, with your good backup at hand you might want to give it a try.

If you like to check some hints to improve performance and stability of RN104 in general you might want to have a look at the collected experiences of mine regarding that model following this link:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Idea-Exchange/Improving-performance-and-stability-of-RN104...

Kind regards

Message 4 of 5
SirToby
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll give it a try

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements