× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is firmware update necessary for ReadyNAS RN104?

dbrgzd
Aspirant

Is firmware update necessary for ReadyNAS RN104?

We have this RN104 with firmware version 6.2.5. I understand that this is an old firmware but I'm unsure if updating would be important or just a risk (as I've seen some posts about updating bricked someone's device and I assume it's more likely to something go wrong when updating a so old firmware)

We use this device currently with 2x4TB disks protected by X-Raid (adding a 3rd disk soon).

Are there any major problems with this version? Could we just keep using this version for the raid protection and local file sharing?

Thank you for your time.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

If it were mine, I would upgrade it. There have been quite a few fixes, including many security patches.  Netgear would undoubtly require you to upgrade if you ever needed Netgear support.

On the other hand, if your NAS is well isolated from the internet, then the risk of those security issues affecting you is relatively small.

Upgrading would be a multi-step process (unfortunately Netgear dropped that information in the 6.8.0 release notes, but it is non-the-less correct).  You'd need to update to 6.2.5, then to 6.5.2 and then onto 6.8.x.  There is some risk that you'd run into trouble and need to do a USB recovery.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If it were mine, I would upgrade it. There have been quite a few fixes, including many security patches.  Netgear would undoubtly require you to upgrade if you ever needed Netgear support.

On the other hand, if your NAS is well isolated from the internet, then the risk of those security issues affecting you is relatively small.

Upgrading would be a multi-step process (unfortunately Netgear dropped that information in the 6.8.0 release notes, but it is non-the-less correct).  You'd need to update to 6.2.5, then to 6.5.2 and then onto 6.8.x.  There is some risk that you'd run into trouble and need to do a USB recovery.

Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To do the update from 6.2.5 to 6.5.2 follow ReadyNAS OS 6: RN100/RN2120 cannot update due to invalid checksum

Subsequent updates (e.g. 6.5.2 to 6.8.x) can be done the normal ways.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements