× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to include an esata hard drive into an internal x-raid volume on a rn204

dsmith123
Follower

Is it possible to include an esata hard drive into an internal x-raid volume on a rn204

So I'm running out of storage on the internal drives on my rn204 and am wondering if I can just add a drive to the x-raid volume through the e-sata port?

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Is it possible to include an esata hard drive into an internal x-raid volume on a rn204

@dsmith123 wrote:

So I'm running out of storage on the internal drives on my rn204 and am wondering if I can just add a drive to the x-raid volume through the e-sata port?

It shouldn't let you, but I recommend not trying that.  It wouldn't be stable - any cabling or power issue would degrade the volume, and require resyncing to recover.

What you could do is use the external drive as a different jbod volume, and moving some of your shares to it.  When you access the NAS as user, you don't see the volumes - just the shares.  So doing this would be largely transparent.  Later on, you could expand the internal volume, and move the shares back.

It would have no RAID redundancy, so you'd need to be especially careful about keeping it backed up.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements