× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to migrate?

filipn
Follower

Is it possible to migrate?

I have ReadyNAS 426 and 6 4GB disk in RAID-6 pool (about 13TB used). Can I somehow migrate to RAID-5 (or X-RAID) or RAID-1 and 3 20TB disks?

I want to avoid copy data out of NAS and back.

Regards,

Filip

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Is it possible to migrate?

@filipn wrote:

I have ReadyNAS 426 and 6 4GB disk in RAID-6 pool (about 13TB used). Can I somehow migrate to RAID-5 (or X-RAID) or RAID-1 and 3 20TB disks?

Not using the NAS web ui.  I think it might be possible with ssh, though it would be complex - and I would strongly recommend a backup before beginning.

FWIW, you'd use RAID-5 with 3x20TB, not RAID-1.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Is it possible to migrate?

It would be a very long process, as each step would require a re-sync.  You'd first need to switch from RAID6 to RAID5 using this process:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/RAID6-to-RAID5-without-volume-re-cr... .

Then swap out three of the drives, one at a time and allowing for re-sync, using normal drive upgrade process.

Lastly, you'd have to remove the remaining 4TB drives using this process:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Reducing-RAID-size-removing-drives-... .

I think you could do that last step all at once (removing all the unwanted drives with one command/re-sync), but I've not tried it.

And you'd need to insure you have a backup before starting, as there are a lot of steps where something can go wrong.  IMHO, not worth the effort.  Just make the backup, swap all the drives, re-create the environment (restoring a saved configuration file will go a long way in accomplishing that), and then restore the files.  If you have apps, make sure you install them before restoring the configuration backup.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements