× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it safe to continue using ReadyNas?

Rapport-3set
Follower

Is it safe to continue using ReadyNas?

Hello.

I am a ReadyNAS 212 user.

Netgear appears to have exited the Home NAS business.
How long will support continue for sold products?
Are there any security concerns if I continue to use ReadyNAS?

If there is already a similar thread, I apologize.

Message 1 of 6
bspz
Initiate

Re: Is it safe to continue using ReadyNas?

I looked for another thread as well but not too hard...wondering the same - will they continue to support firmware upgrades or are all of our NASs ready for the landfill?

BTW, as a long time NETGEAR customer, I never got an email regarding this change in direction...shame on you NETGEAR!

Message 2 of 6
AnishaA
NETGEAR Moderator

@Rapport-3set :

And welcome to the NETGEAR Community! 🙂

We will provide you technical support, until you fall under warranty. You can post the question in the community even after all your warranty expires.

Please keep the firmware upgraded to avoid security threads. 

Ready Cloud will be terminating its services in July it is been extended from April to July. When you login into the portal you can find it in the page. 

Please find the screenshot below:

unnamed.png

If your issue is resolved please close the thread by clicking "Accept as solution".

Have a lovely day, 
Anisha A
Netgear Team 

Message 3 of 6
bspz
Initiate

I think the question here is will the ReadyNAS products be supported as far as firmware updates in the foreseeable future?

Once NETGEAR stops providing firmware updates our hardware is no longer safe to use unless isolated on the local network.

Message 4 of 6
nsne
Virtuoso

You're not going to get an honest answer from the current crop of forum mods. It looks like Netgear has contracted out to a third-party service that just adds cut-and-paste stock responses to threads that seem critical of the company's handling of the ReadyNAS line.

The ReadyNAS OS codebase (Debian "Jessie") was first released in 2015 and was superseded in 2018. Debian has since removed Jessie from its security repository. So, at this point, the only "safe" thing about the ReadyNAS line is the hope that it's so old and niche that malicious actors wouldn't waste their time developing exploits for it.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, Netgear has back-ported security patches in the past, so the archive of Jessie doesn't necessarily mean that security updates will stop.  Back in 2017, Netgear provided email notification (and forum news) that firmware updates would stop for 4.x and 5.x systems.  I'd expect they will do the same thing here before the final firmware release (whenever that turns out to be).

My own ReadyNAS are not exposed to the internet, and I am planning to continue using them as long as they provide reliable storage.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements