× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is the retrokit power supply kit still available?

armornone
Aspirant

Is the retrokit power supply kit still available?

Hello.

I was reading that there was a retrokit power supply kit that would allow the readynas NV to be converted into a fanless quiet model like the regular Readynas NV+.

Can anyone tell me if that retrokit power supply kit is still available? My readynas NV is very loud compared to my Readynas NV+ model.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Is the retrokit power supply kit still available?

The PSU for the NV/NV+ is the RND4PSU1. In the US it's available here: http://store.netgear.com/store/netgear/en_US/pd/productID.124539000
Message 2 of 6
armornone
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
The PSU for the NV/NV+ is the RND4PSU1. In the US it's available here: http://store.netgear.com/store/netgear/en_US/pd/productID.124539000

Hi.

Thank you for the info. That is for the entire power supply unit correct? At one point, there was a conversion kit that was suppose to convert a NV power supply into a NV+ power supply. I think it consisted of replacing certain parts to withstand higher temperatures and I think it was around $60.

All the links to the product are not dead links. I believe the FAQ make reference to this conversion kit. I wonder if the JEDI might know if they are still around or if the only option left is to replace the entire unit.

Thanks.
Message 3 of 6
PapaBear1
Guide

At the time of the conversion, I believe the entire PSU would have only been about $60, as that would have been four years ago. I have a four year old NV+ which came with the fanless power supply, but is the serial number range of the NV RevB (fanless PSU) and the early NV+ units. There have been an unacceptable high rate of failure in these units, and Infrant/Netgear is still replacing these power suppies. I am fortunate in that I have not experienced a failure, but in January I bought a spare. At the time it was $105 from Amazon, but it is currently $121.30 which is more than Netgear is charging (assuming Netgear does not charge shipping).

There is a world of difference in the NV+ PSU of today and the one from four years age (which would have been the "conversion" unit). It is more robust, has a clear plastic baffle that closes off the open space around the power supply itself and a ventilated metal cover over the components. The effect is to direct more air flow over the components. There may have also been an early move to simply remove the small fan from the Rev A power supply, but it would probably lead to heat problems in the PSU.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to purchase one of the newer more robust power supplies. I would not hesitate, for these PSU's are not always available. They are currently available, but there have been at least two periods in the last year when they were not available.
Message 4 of 6
armornone
Aspirant

PapaBear wrote:
At the time of the conversion, I believe the entire PSU would have only been about $60, as that would have been four years ago. I have a four year old NV+ which came with the fanless power supply, but is the serial number range of the NV RevB (fanless PSU) and the early NV+ units. There have been an unacceptable high rate of failure in these units, and Infrant/Netgear is still replacing these power suppies. I am fortunate in that I have not experienced a failure, but in January I bought a spare. At the time it was $105 from Amazon, but it is currently $121.30 which is more than Netgear is charging (assuming Netgear does not charge shipping).

There is a world of difference in the NV+ PSU of today and the one from four years age (which would have been the "conversion" unit). It is more robust, has a clear plastic baffle that closes off the open space around the power supply itself and a ventilated metal cover over the components. The effect is to direct more air flow over the components. There may have also been an early move to simply remove the small fan from the Rev A power supply, but it would probably lead to heat problems in the PSU.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to purchase one of the newer more robust power supplies. I would not hesitate, for these PSU's are not always available. They are currently available, but there have been at least two periods in the last year when they were not available.

Its too bad they did not use a standard PC's power supply configuration. In other words, if the power supply dies, you can't just connect a regular computer's power supply to the unit. That worries me.
Message 5 of 6
PapaBear1
Guide

Well, the standard PC PSU certainly wouldn't fit in the case either. Of course with the PSU housing outside, the unused wire loom branches would also be a bit of a mess.

I have admit that the non-standard PSU has concerned me as well, but the NV+ is still in production and the part is still available. The PSU for later models is not available as a separate part. With a lot of effort, you could remove the wires of a standard PSU from the 20 pin main power connector and configure them so they are now plug and electrically compatible. Of course I would be more tempted to use one of the lower power modular units which have only the main power wire permanently connected and just all the SATA and Molex connector runs in the box.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements