× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is this my reality now? Slow ..

Copenhagen69
Aspirant

Is this my reality now? Slow ..

Well, I took the dive and picked up the ReadyNAS 104, added 4x3TB currently in Raid5 in my system.

First impressions are this is a nice unit and very easy to setup. Easy to navigate as well. The apps for it are less than impressive though! I was expecting something somewhat close to synology of qnaps. 😞

Next up, moving around the NAS from folder to folder is not as quick as I was expecting. I watch the blue bar go across as it has to load an empty folder. I did not expect this lack of performance from an empty folder ... I am confused with it. It seems to load the folders at about the same speed whether it has 0 files in it or 20GB of files in it. I can get over this as its not too bad I guess .. 10-20 seconds.

After I loaded up files from my phone, I must say I was impressed with the upload speed, but I guess that has to do more with my internet though. ... Anyways, organizing my files has been close to a nightmare. I have 1500 files in 1 folder and it takes minutes to load a screen full of files.

The above took a little over 7 minutes to load on the screen ... I am assuming some has to do with my internet connection? If so, I am running 30 down / 3 up. I dont think that should be the issue and being so slow since I can upload and download the files in about 1 - 1 1/2 mins

I read a lot of the performance stuff, I have tested it and still didnt work for me. The loading of files and moving of files is very slow.

Then while trying to move files, I select a group and put in 1 folder, while the blue bar is still going, I select some more for another folder. I normally can get about 3-4 groups selected and put in folders before it kicks me back to the main navigation folder menu. Is that normal?

When playing around in the test grounds for Qnap and synology, they were a lot more snappy feeling than this. Is this what I get for cheaping out? Just have to live with it?
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Can you try testing with nastester? http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance
Message 2 of 6
Copenhagen69
Aspirant

How do I know what the network address is? I dont have it linked anywhere yet.
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I am not sure I understand you. However, normally the NAS is connected to your home network, and your router will give it a home network address. Often that starts with 192.168

You can see that address a few different ways
(a) in the router web ui,
(b) on the network page of the ReadyNAS web ui, or
(c) via RAIDar - which can be downloaded here: http://support.netgear.com/product/ReadyNAS-OS6

BTW, are you using a web browser to access your files? On a Windows PC the normal method is Windows Explorer (e.g., "Computer"), and a Mac it would be "Finder"
Message 4 of 6
Copenhagen69
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
I am not sure I understand you. However, normally the NAS is connected to your home network, and your router will give it a home network address. Often that starts with 192.168

You can see that address a few different ways
(a) in the router web ui,
(b) on the network page of the ReadyNAS web ui, or
(c) via RAIDar - which can be downloaded here: http://support.netgear.com/product/ReadyNAS-OS6

BTW, are you using a web browser to access your files? On a Windows PC the normal method is Windows Explorer (e.g., "Computer"), and a Mac it would be "Finder"

Yes, I typed that IP into the NAS Performance and it says ... Input Invalid check drive letter or network path. I am using a buddies laptop with windows, does it have to be mapped to to the computer before running this program? I logged into the readynas before trying to run as well but still nothing.

My main computer at home is a mac so I cant run that NAS performance from there ... I have to run from a buddies laptop when he lets me barrow it. Is there a MAC version of this? I have noticed there is not much love for the apple community with Netgear as well.
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

In NAStester you enter \\ipaddress\sharename into the network path. You don't need to map a drive letter. The direction of the slashes is important.

sharename can be one of the default ones (Backup for instance).

I don't use Apple myself, but there are certainly people here who do. NAStester is just a convenient tool we happened to run across. Unfortunately there is no mac version.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements