× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues after firmware upgrade RN4220X

swatkins89
Aspirant

Issues after firmware upgrade RN4220X

Hello -

I performed a firmware upgrade of my RN4220X rack mount unit earlier today via the admin portal and after a while it still isn't responding to ping. It attempted to upgrade to 6.10.8 from 6.9. The admin portal said this was the stable release and direct upgrade was supported.

I've attempted to connect my laptop directly to the NIC on the ReadyNAS with a static IP on the same subnet and I can't ping i, RAIDar also can't discover it. I attempted to plug one of the unused NICs into a VLAN with DHCP and it's not pulling an address.

On the front of my unit the Health light is off and the power light is solid. NIC light is blinking green. After giving it a while I attempted to reboot it but this also didn't work. Worth noting that I used the power button the front, didn't attempt a complete power off (power cord removal).

So, as it stands the Health light indicates good, and the unit is receiving power. This unit has no screen so I'm unable to determine where it's at. I've been reading numerous articles on recovery; USB recovery and OS re-install. Eventually decided to try the USB recovery following the USB recovery KB. However, after 20 minutes it doesn't seem to be doing anything or be shutdown as the article says it should be. All the lights on the front (Power, UI, and Health) are still just blinking in rotation. Looking at this article about how to access the boot menu (https://kb.netgear.com/24869/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-3220-4220) it seems like that light rotation means that it's in the boot menu, so I don't know if it's even attempting the USB recovery.

I've considered attempting the OS re-install but had a question - does this affect installed apps? We use the Piwigo photo database, and I'm curious if it'll effect that app and its data (including mySQL) installed on the appliance. All I can find are articles saying it doesn't affect the data partition, but can't find anything about apps and I don't know enough about this NAS to know what partition the apps are on.

Appreciate any help anyone can provide on getting this NAS restored..

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
swatkins89
Aspirant

Re: Issues after firmware upgrade RN4220X

This is fixed, performing the OS re-install through the boot menu fixed it and thankfully left all apps/data intact. However, it's still on the old firmware version, which I'm just going to leave it at. This unit is end of life, I'm going to work on migrating the data off of it and decommissioning the unit.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@swatkins89 wrote:

I've considered attempting the OS re-install but had a question - does this affect installed apps? We use the Piwigo photo database, and I'm curious if it'll effect that app and its data (including mySQL) installed on the appliance. All I can find are articles saying it doesn't affect the data partition, but can't find anything about apps and I don't know enough about this NAS to know what partition the apps are on.

The OS reinstall shouldn't affect the apps. 

The firmware update might have, though I don't recall seeing any recent reports of issues with piwigo.  I have seen a post reporting issues with nextcloud and php (version 7.2) when upgrading to 6.10.  But that did not result in the NAS not booting or the web UI being unavailable.

Have you tried using the console port?  That might give more information on what is going on.

Message 2 of 4
swatkins89
Aspirant

I haven’t. The device console port is male and I only have usb to male console adapters/cables. I ordered a new one that’ll be here tonight.

Also, last night after giving more than 20 minutes to attempt the USB recovery I checked to see if where it was at (the blinking power, health, and UI lights) was actually the boot menu by rotating between the options. It was. I selected normal boot and pulled the flash drive and called it a night.

However, after rebooting the NAS is pulling an IP via DHCP now on port 2 but as of last night I couldn’t ping it. Didn’t try from the same network though, will try that today. Also, other ports on the NAS (I only tried port 1) didn’t seem to be working. It’s almost as if it reset network settings, even though I didn’t select that option.

At this point I would love to just be able to get into the device to extract the data, and then factory reset it. Haven’t had much success in doing that though. I’m hoping that I when I get into the office today I’ll have some success in being able to access shares, SSH, or at the very least the admin page.
Message 3 of 4
swatkins89
Aspirant

This is fixed, performing the OS re-install through the boot menu fixed it and thankfully left all apps/data intact. However, it's still on the old firmware version, which I'm just going to leave it at. This unit is end of life, I'm going to work on migrating the data off of it and decommissioning the unit.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements