× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issues with 428 after upgrade to 6.10.2

leo037
Luminary

Issues with 428 after upgrade to 6.10.2

I have a 428 with an EDA500 attached. 

Ever since I upgraded it to 6.10.2 last week. Trying to access admin console has been extremely slow doesn't even work in Chome, including incognito mode. I have to use Firefox. Even then it takes a couple minutes to load. 

I pressed the power button three times to start a shutdown, waited over ten minutes for it to turn off, never happened. So I flipped the power switch. Upon restart, it took a long time to do volume decrypt (this seems to be usual now) and finally booted up. Web UI is slow again but loads. This also caused the volume on the EDA500 to resync, five 6TB drives, original estimate was 189 hours to resync. It's never been that long. 

Today I came home to find my 428 unresponsive to everything. Flipped the power switch and restarted. Volume sync still continuing with 85 hours to go. I downloaded logs (only 667k, seems really small considering its been a while). I ssh'd in and checked / space only 32% used, data volumes have 5TB and 7TB available. 

I'm in the process of upgrading the drives in the 428 to 10TB drives but with the EDA500 volume taking an eternity to resync I don't want to have two volumes syncing at the same time.

What's going on Netgear? When I did the last OS upgrade to 6.10.1 the upgrade messed up the admin password and I was forced to reset it. This has happened on older models and older versions of OS. 

Do I need upgrade the ram on this thing? 4GB is really not much. 

At this point I'm really considering just building my own server and deal with Windows issues.

Model: RN428|ReadyNAS 428 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bays
Message 1 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

The EDA500 can slow things down because it uses an eSATA multiplier.  You are shoving the data for 5 drives over a connection designed for one, and it's a 3gb eSATA, too, not 6Gb.  Unfortunately, it's not just anything that directly accesses the EDA that can be slower, as the OS partition RAID extends to the EDA drives.  Fortunately, the swap partition does not.

I gave up on the EDA500 and moved to a 12-bay rack-mount unit.  I just moved all the drives (maintaining the proper order for each set), and it all just booted and worked.  If you have a location with space and where the noise won't bother you, the RR2312 is fire sale priced right now at both Amazon and CDW.

Message 2 of 5
leo037
Luminary

Yeah I'm aware of that. 

At the time I was hard up for space and the EDA was on sale for $200 so it solved a problem. 

It has data on it that I don't use that often so speed isn't that big of an issue for me. Just seems like every time something happens the damn thing has to resync itself

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@leo037 wrote:

It has data on it that I don't use that often so speed isn't that big of an issue for me. Just seems like every time something happens the damn thing has to resync itself

If the data is backed up, one possibility is to switch to jbod (one volume per disk), and give up RAID redundancy.  Then it will never resync.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

If the data is backed up, one possibility is to switch to jbod (one volume per disk), and give up RAID redundancy.  Then it will never resync.

Yes, but if whatever is causing the need for re-sync still occurs, you could end up with a dead or read-only volume instead of just a re-sync.  Check your cable, as they don't really stay put all that well.  It is a terrible choice for an enternal connector.  Even with RAID, I ended up with a read-only volume on an EDA500 due to a cable issue and had to destroy and re-create it to overcome that.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements