× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: JungleDisk Server Edition

blimeyfool
Aspirant

JungleDisk Server Edition

Has anyone tried to install JungleDisk Server Edition on a ReadyNAS? There have been a lot of requests both here and on the JungleDisk Forums for an add on, but nothing forthcoming. That would certainly be more convenient, but in the interim, it seems like JD Server for Linux should be able to be installed on a ReadyNAS for cloud based backup.

Anyone willing to try who has an extra box?
Message 1 of 11
cbunting
Aspirant

First, sign up for a server account at JungleDisk.com to be able to download their software that is needed to use the functionality. It is $5/mo currently, plus storage fees amazon charges.
This tutorial is written for those of you who are not familiar with *nix systems, like me.

1. If you haven’t already, you must enable SSH root access on your ReadyNAS, see the netgear site if you aren’t sure how to do so.
2. Use Putty or your ssh client, and connect to the readynas
3. Username is root and password is the same as your readynas admin password
4. Downlaod package by typing:
wget https://downloads.jungledisk.com/jungledisk/junglediskserver-316-0.i386.deb --no-check-certificate
5. Install the package by typing:
sudo dpkg –i junglediskserver-316-0.i386.deb
6. Create the license file using VI editor (google VI editor if you are not a nix guru) by typing
vi /etc/jungledisk/junglediskserver-license.xml

The editor will appear next, past the following text (replacing the xxx with your actual license key)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<LicenseConfig>
<licenseKey>XXXXXXXXXXXXX</licenseKey>
<proxyServer>
<enabled>0</enabled>
<proxyServer></proxyServer>
<userName></userName>
<password></password>
</proxyServer>
</LicenseConfig>
</configuration>
7. Next, press ESC to get back to command mode, type “:wq” and press enter, the file should now be saved and you will be at the root prompt.
8. Now let’s start the service by typing:
/etc/init.d/junglediskserver start
9. Next download the JungleDisk client portion of the software, and you should be good to go from there…
Hope this helps
Message 2 of 11
blimeyfool
Aspirant

Thanks for the detailed instructions! Do you know if this will work on a SPARC based ReadyNAS like NV+ or just the new Intel based?
Message 3 of 11
cbunting
Aspirant

I'm not sure, I beleive only intel based, but I may be wrong... I'm a windows guy
Message 4 of 11
biffduncan
Aspirant

Great post, been waiting for something like this for over a year. Unfortunately I have deployed mostly the Readynas NV+ using SPARC. Anybody have any word that it will be compatible.
Message 5 of 11
hallvardb
Aspirant

Following these instructions, my /var/log/messages says:
Jan 25 11:41:07 NAS junglediskserver: Jungle Disk Server Edition has not been configured.

Do I need any other configuration than the /etc/jungledisk/junglediskserver-licence.xml?
Message 6 of 11
hallvardb
Aspirant

I found another file in /etc/jungledisk now: .com.jungledisk.serverservice.status, which contains the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<serviceStatus>
<code>3</code>
<text>unconfigured</text>
<port>10909</port>
</serviceStatus>

Any ideas?
Message 7 of 11
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

Does this solution work pretty well? I've been using Jungledisk for quite a while, very happy with it, but now I need a NAS and while the ReadyNAS looks good on a number of issues, I don't want to be locked into ReadyNAS Vault, which is quite expensive compared to JungleDisk and other providers.

If this jungledisk server edition works fine, I'm good with that. I'm presuming this is a config file drive deamon that runs on linux and the ReadyNAS, no gui. Right?
Message 8 of 11
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

Thanks for sharing this tip. I signed up for jungledisk server edition, downloaded the latest debian pkg, installed it with SSH, configured the key in the noted XML file, restarted the daemon, and it just worked. I really didn't have to do any fiddling. I will probably package this up in addon format eventually only so that I can start or stop the daemon from frontview, but all other configuration is through their GUI client, so once its installed you really don't need to use SSH. Its works fine(Ultra2+ here), including encryption.

One suggestion though, junglediskserver does a lot of caching, which can take up considerable space. By default it does the caching under /var/cache/jungledisk. You can configure the location of this through their client app. I created /c/var/cache/jungledisk and configured their app to use that instead.

Seems to be working great so far.
Message 9 of 11
EllaVader
Aspirant

I'm following the instructions in this post but I am having a problem at the dpkg -i part. Here is what I did:

root@ReadyNAS:~# sudo dpkg -i junglediskdesktop_316-0_i386.deb
dpkg: error processing junglediskdesktop_316-0_i386.deb (--install):
package architecture (i386) does not match system (armel)

Not sure what this means and what (if anything) I can do to work around this.
Message 10 of 11
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

which readynas do you have? I guess jungledisk will only work on x86
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements