× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Just upgraded to 6.7.0....

Jackvd
Apprentice

After sailing through the readycloud outage I ran into an 6.7.0 upgrade issue....

Yesterday I checked for a FW upgrade option (running 6.6.1), but the system indicated that there was no upgrade available.

I then downloaded the 6.7.0 FW manually, but got a server error and the FW was not applied.

This morning suddenly a window popped up and indicated that the FW was uploaded and that I had to reboot the system to install it.

The system never got through the reboot....

I manually rebooted again and then the system quickly got to 38% and stopped for a long time. When it got up again, it indicated on

the lcd-display that it had no network...

I manually rebooted again and it stopped at 41%, took a very long time to finish up, but had a network connection. I noticed an error with

the UPS communication, but the biggest problem was that it did not load the data volume. All the disks were red. I had this issue last year, but then the usb-stick with the encryption key was not in the system :-).

But now it was...

I restarted the system again and it ran to 44% before stalling again for a long time. This time I saw the message on the lcd that it did found the encryption key.

But when the adminscreen came up, the volume was still red and unusable...

Then I performed an OS reinstall from the bootmenu.

The system quickly got to 45%, indicated that it found the encryption key but still came up with no data volume....

I will upload the log from the latest reboot.

Hopefully you guys can have a quick look at it.

Thx; Jack

Message 26 of 102
StephenB
Guru

@Jackvd wrote:

Then I performed an OS reinstall from the bootmenu.

The system quickly got to 45%, indicated that it found the encryption key but still came up with no data volume....

Ouch.  What model NAS?

This might be a case where you need paid support.

Message 27 of 102
Jackvd
Apprentice

RN214 - 6.7.0 - 4x 3TB Seagate ST3000VN - x-raid - raid5 - encryption

After having two systems hit by the readycloud issue, payed support is probably not the right word 🙂

We'll see.

Thx.

Message 28 of 102
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well this is a separate issue to the home folder issue.

Perhaps see if disconnecting the USB cable for the UPS makes any difference. Reboot with the UPS USB cable disconnected and see if the volume comes up.

Message 29 of 102
Jackvd
Apprentice

Yep, your right. It is a separate issue.

I removed the usb cable from the ups. (Both the ups cable and the usb-stick with the encryptionkey are in the back two usb connectors)

Started the system again, but it gave the same result.

Telling me it found the encryption key, moved quickly to 45% and then stalled for a long time before booting up completly. Again with no access to the datavolume.

I shut the system down again and moved the usb-stick with the key to the front usb connector.

Again with the same result. The only difference was that it stalled at 48% before finishing the bootcycle after a long wait.

In all instances I could browse through the usb-stick holding the key after the admin screen came up on the browser. So it does not look like there is a hardware error on the usb connectors.

The next thing I can try is to put the 4 disks containing the volume into another unit running 6.6.1.

Do you think that is an option?

Jack

Message 30 of 102
verify
Aspirant

Hi,

as I mentioned a few days ago my Update from 6.6.1 to 6.7.0 on my Readynas 102 with two WD 2TB Red Disks is still a disaster. After every reboot the system runs fast in the beginning and freezes after 4-10 min. The logs in the web-interface show no error at all.

Sequentially I disabled smb, because it hasen't worked under 6.6.1, then virus-scanner, then dlna. It seam to slow the crash, but it freezes...

I tried to gather information via the top-tool in linux itself. On one start the swap-space is used relatively strong, the other time it is almost not used at all.

No process is on full cpu-load. The most often running processes are btrfs-cean+ and kswapd0. Think this corresponds to the swap-space usage and to the log-messages that snap-shot from the past are deleted. So to me its a miracle, perhaps my observations help someone to solve the problem.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 31 of 102
StephenB
Guru

@Jackvd wrote:

The next thing I can try is to put the 4 disks containing the volume into another unit running 6.6.1.

Do you think that is an option?

You can try that, making sure the systems are powered off when you migrate.  

But the first thing that will happen is that the second unit will upgrade itself to 6.7.0.  When you swap the disks back, the original disks in that system will also be upgraded to 6.7.0.

If the flash and the OS partition have different versions, then in OS 6 the older version is upgraded to match the newer when the system boots.

Message 32 of 102
Jackvd
Apprentice

I did try it and it worked out ok....

Since the 6.7.0 unit was not able to read the encrypted volume (which is the only x-raid volume), I assumed it was not touched by the 6.7.0

upgrade.

That turned out to be true.

The encrypted volume mounted without any problem on a 6.6.1 unit and was fully functional.

The 6.6.1 FW on that unit was not upgraded!

So now the volume is back into the RN214 with 6.7.0 and is still unreadable.

I booted the system without the usb containing the encryption key and that triggered the normal error. Waiting for 10 minutes to install the key...

When I plug in the usb with key, the system recognizes the key and continues booting until the 48% mark.

Then it takes a long time to finish and we are back at the unreadable volume....

So; what to do?

Should I try to reinstall a new 6.7.0 FW download or downgrade the unit to 6.6.1?

Jack

Message 33 of 102
StephenB
Guru

@Jackvd wrote:

The 6.6.1 FW on that unit was not upgraded!

It should have been, so that is odd.  Plus the system is booting from the disks, so it is also odd that you are seeing different behavior in the other system.

What is the other model number? 

Message 34 of 102
Jackvd
Apprentice

I do agree that it is not very logical...

But since the upgrade to 6.7.0 on the RN214 did not go right to begin with, it probably broke somewhere in the process.

The unit I tested it on is an Ultra-4, which is not formaly supported on OS6, but has been running fine with OS6 so far.

Both units have different cpu's, does that explain this behaviour?

Message 35 of 102
StephenB
Guru

@Jackvd wrote:

Both units have different cpu's, does that explain this behaviour?

It might, and it occured to me that might be the case.  That was what triggered the question.

1. So the ultra couldn't upgrade its flash from the RN214 disks - instead it just installed its OS onto the disks, and that booted ok.  
  2. Then the RN214 reinstalled its OS back onto the disks from the flash, and it failed again.

The encyption key is clearly readable, since the ultra was able to use it.

You could try reinstalling 6.7.0 on the RN214 system.  I did send @mdgm-ntgr a PM asking him to review the thread - maybe wait a few hours to give him a chance to chime in.

BTW, migrating to the ultra (and back) can mess up apps - since they can't be automatically migrated to the new OS.  Some apps are machine-independent, but I think most are arm/x86 specific.

Message 36 of 102
Jackvd
Apprentice

I think I will do that and just wait a while.

I am at Central European Time, so it is late in the evening anyway 🙂

I will check in tomorrow.

Thx so far.

Jack

Message 37 of 102
msnasx
Aspirant

So what is the solution to actually access anything on my ReadyNas 102 storage with new 6.7.0 firmware, because it locks up just after boot and after random period of time it is again accessible, but there is no enought time to do anything?!

Message 38 of 102
msnasx
Aspirant

after some investigation I think this is the actual problem:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

root@NAS:/var/log# systemctl status readynasd
● readynasd.service - ReadyNAS System Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/readynasd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (start) since Sat 2017-04-08 14:59:34 CEST; 1min 51s ago
Main PID: 5546 (readynasd)
CGroup: /system.slice/readynasd.service
├─3199 /usr/sbin/readynasd -v 3 -t
└─5546 /usr/sbin/readynasd -v 3 -t

Apr 08 14:59:34 NAS systemd[1]: Starting ReadyNAS System Daemon...
Apr 08 14:59:44 NAS readynasd[5546]: readynasd log started
Apr 08 15:00:02 NAS readynasd[5546]: readynasd started. (restarted=0)
Apr 08 15:00:42 NAS readynasd[5546]: DB (main) schema version: 23 ==> 23
Apr 08 15:01:20 NAS readynasd[5546]: rndb_create() ==> 3 (38089ms)
Apr 08 15:01:20 NAS readynasd[5546]: Error create table (db)
Apr 08 15:01:20 NAS readynasd[5546]: dba create failed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it safe to perform downgrade to 6.6.1 in order to have operational storage?

Is this maybe known problem? If yes, what is the solution? 🙂

Thanks

Message 39 of 102
msnasx
Aspirant

Meanwhile waiting for the response, besed on advices to otherswith similar problem, I have tried once more update to 6.7.0 firmware this time via IP/fwbroker web page, because anyhow web UI is very unresponsive. Unfortuantelly situation is the same, only now I have power button blinking all the time. Somehow I have managed to get the logs from device via radiator, but I haven't found way how to send them to someone via PM, because there is no option for attachment.

I am waiting for your feedback, because that is the only thing I can do now 🙂

Thanks!

Message 40 of 102
picard
Aspirant

I have the 102 and did Factory Default before and after 6.7.0 upgrade. It locks up randomly it can be take an hour or it will work all day before it locks up. It don't respond to the power button when it locks up I have to pull the power cord out of the back and plug it back in to get it going.

This rn102 has been nothing but junk from day one it has set on the shelf for a year trying to get plex to work on it. I got plex to work and now it won't run long enought to use plex. I wonder what the problem is the hardware or people programing. I have an Asustor nas and never have a problem I can push the upgrade button and it works everytime I don't even have to think about it. With the Netgear you got to think long and hard before you push that update button as you know what's going to happen.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 41 of 102
F_L_
Tutor

So I upgraded my ReadyNAS Ultra 4 with 6.7.0 since I didn´t really trust 6.6.1.

I guess I could consider myself lucky in the beginning because the upgrade actually went quite smooth and it was running fine for a couple of days.

But now I´ve lost access to Frontview. It´s just stuck at the welcome screen and then after a while gives me Admin Page offline.

I still have SSH and SMB access so I really would like to avoid a restart, mostly because I´m not sure it will come back after reading all the problem others have.

Is there anything I can check for using SSH?
Can I restart frontview?

EDIT:

I have _many_ of these:

admin    12763  0.0  0.0  37720  2016 ?        S    19:27   0:00 /frontview/lib/dbbroker.cgi
admin    12767  0.0  0.1  37720  2060 ?        S    19:27   0:00 /frontview/lib/dbbroker.cgi
admin    12771  0.0  0.0  37720  2020 ?        S    19:27   0:00 /frontview/lib/dbbroker.cgi
admin    12775  0.0  0.0  37720  1960 ?        S    19:27   0:00 /frontview/lib/dbbroker.cgi
admin    12308  0.0  0.3 138428  7956 ?        S    19:17   0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
admin    12386  0.0  0.3 138388  7828 ?        S    19:19   0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
admin    12391  0.0  0.3 138396  7992 ?        S    19:20   0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
admin    12396  0.0  0.3 138388  7828 ?        S    19:20   0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
admin    12407  0.0  0.3 138388  7828 ?        S    19:20   0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start

Message 42 of 102
msnasx
Aspirant

Actually you are lucky! :), at least compared to my case, because after upgrade I don't have samba and SSH sometimes (especially right after reboot) works, sometimes stucks, so I even can't backup my files somewhere else 😞

I have very same behavior as you with dbbroker.cgi! From that I assume there is some really nasty bug in the newest firmware which impacts lots of Netgear customers.

What you can do is to check status of readynasd services over SSH.

systemctl restart readynasd

Message 43 of 102
F_L_
Tutor

systemctl restart readynasd seems just to hang...

Before restart I did a status:

root@Ultra:~# systemctl status readynasd
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/readynasd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2017-04-07 13:03:47 CEST; 2 days ago
 Main PID: 3195 (readynasd)
           └─3195 /usr/sbin/readynasd -v 3 -t

Apr 09 20:11:31 Ultra readynasd[3195]: ERROR: getifaddrs() failed: Too many open files
Apr 09 20:12:31 Ultra readynasd[3195]: ERROR: getifaddrs() failed: Too many open files
Apr 09 20:13:31 Ultra readynasd[3195]: ERROR: getifaddrs() failed: Too many open files
Apr 09 20:14:31 Ultra readynasd[3195]: ERROR: getifaddrs() failed: Too many open files
Apr 09 20:15:31 Ultra readynasd[3195]: ERROR: getifaddrs() failed: Too many open files
Apr 09 20:16:31 Ultra readynasd[3195]: ERROR: getifaddrs() failed: Too many open files
Apr 09 20:17:31 Ultra readynasd[3195]: ERROR: getifaddrs() failed: Too many open files
Apr 09 20:18:31 Ultra readynasd[3195]: ERROR: getifaddrs() failed: Too many open files
Apr 09 20:19:31 Ultra readynasd[3195]: ERROR: getifaddrs() failed: Too many open files
Apr 09 20:20:31 Ultra readynasd[3195]: ERROR: getifaddrs() failed: Too many open files

EDIT: restart timed out:

root@Ultra:~# systemctl status readynasd
   Active: deactivating (stop-sigkill) (Result: timeout) since Sun 2017-04-09 20:21:43 CEST; 15min ago
  Process: 16532 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/readynasd -v 3 -t (code=exited, status=255)
 Main PID: 16532 (code=exited, status=255)
           └─15893 /usr/sbin/readynasd -v 3 -t

restart of apache didn´t help neither

Message 44 of 102
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@RoundRobin

It is known issue for the format of Status section of Performance screen on 6.7.0,

Thanks for your report.

Message 45 of 102
norcis
Aspirant

After Upgrading RN2120 to 6.7.0 from 6.6.1 admin page is inaccessable, it shows "connecting to readynas admin page", but after some time it shows that it can't connect. Files are accessible through samba for few minutes only after start! Can't do OS reinstall as steps described in manual does not work. 1) holding reset button when starting NAS makes red, two blue led blinking, and green stready on. At this stage I press reset button, but leds doesn't change.  

Need urgent solution how can this be fixed!

Message 46 of 102
msnasx
Aspirant

@norcis wrote:

After Upgrading RN2120 to 6.7.0 from 6.6.1 admin page is inaccessable, it shows "connecting to readynas admin page", but after some time it shows that it can't connect. Files are accessible through samba for few minutes only after start! Can't do OS reinstall as steps described in manual does not work. 1) holding reset button when starting NAS makes red, two blue led blinking, and green stready on. At this stage I press reset button, but leds doesn't change.  

Exactly same situation as I have. In addition, afterwards I have updated my RN102 with 6.7.0 FW via nas_ip_address/fwbroker and situation is the same, only now power button is blinking all the time! Later this evening I will try to boot NAS in volume read only mode in roder mode to try to backup the data.

I would really expect some feedback from NetGear - even only to state that there is a bug, which we don't know how to solve right now! In this thread we have more and more complains of unlucky customers, without any respond from NetGear to manage customer expecation. I know that we have to be patient, but nevertheless I would really expect some comforting feedback e.g. we will release 6.7.1 FW in a week in order to restore funcitonality of yours NAS.

Message 47 of 102
tdaters
Aspirant

My RN2120 successfully installed 6.7 with issues you have noted. I powered off with switch and caught it just at the end of the boot process, logged onto the admin page and used the local firmware update to roll it back to 6.6.1. then rebooted. I waited for an hour for it to reboot, then powered off with the switch, then back on with fingers crossed and it booted back to 6.6.1 without issues. Everything where it should be.

Message 48 of 102
norcis
Aspirant

what do you mean "caught it just at the end of the boot process"? How could I access admin to downgrade?

Netgear! We all are waiting for your replay about this!

Message 49 of 102
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you can boot it into volume read-only mode it would be good if you could then send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

After updating to 6.7.0 you should not downgrade the firmware to earlier firmware.

Message 50 of 102
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements