× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Kernal PAnic - how to turn NAS off?

nrobinson1
Aspirant

Kernal PAnic - how to turn NAS off?

I have got the message "Kernal Panic", after turning my ReadyNAS NV+ v1 back on, and have read the threads about checking disks etc.

But I cannot do this until I have managed to turn the NAS off safely, and the power button isn't doing this.  Will it be still checking through the arrays? Do I have to do this? The other threads say not to hot swap in this situation so would like to do a proper shut down before removing drives to check they are ok.

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers,

DrNik.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Kernal PAnic - how to turn NAS off?

Hi nrobinson1,

You cannot update the firmware without disks inside the NAS.  Since all four drives passed the extended test, you may insert all four drives and check if the NAS boots up just fine.  Check if you can still access the data stored in it.  Then observe, if the Kernel Panic message appears again.  

Also, if you are able to access the data stored in your NAS, the first thing to do is to make sure to back up all of it right away for safety.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello nrobinson1,

I hope you have full backup of the data.

Do not remove disks yet. Please perform memory test from the boot menu.

Regards,

Message 2 of 14
nrobinson1
Aspirant

How do i perform a memory test without rebooting so that I can hold the power button down for 25s to do memory test - hence the main question - how do I restart a NAS that wont power down?

Cheers,

Nik.

Message 3 of 14
nrobinson1
Aspirant

I have tried RAIDar 6.0 but it cannot see the NV+ only my Duo.

Cheers,

Nik,.

Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

You have duplicate threads going.  I tried to kill this one, but that didn't happen.

As I replied here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Help-Kernel-Panic-How-to-turn-off/m-p/1016411#U...

At this point you need to risk pulling the plug.

Message 5 of 14
nrobinson1
Aspirant

OK, so I have pulled the plug, removed the disks (numbered), and re-booted and done the memory check.

All A okay there!

So am I right in saying next step is to check each of the disks with manufactuers software?  They are hitachi drives HDS7210DLE630.

Cheers,

Nik.

Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@nrobinson1 wrote:

So am I right in saying next step is to check each of the disks with manufactuers software?  They are hitachi drives HDS7210DLE630.

Yes,  Their drive fitness test link is https://www.hgst.com/support/hard-drive-support/downloads

Since they are now part of western digital, you could also try WDC's lifeguard software.  Even if it doesn't recognize the drive, you should still be able to run the long generic test.

Message 7 of 14
nrobinson1
Aspirant

Hmmm, when I put a drive in a caddy and connect it to my PC the computer recognises the USB connection, but does not recognise the drive.  I ran WinDFT, which I got from the HGST site, but it couldn't find the drive either.

Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers,

Nik.

Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

The PC should see the drive, but can't mount it because it doesn't support the format.

Try opening the disk manager (for win7 that is done by right-clicking on computer and choosing "manage") and see if the drive shows up there.

If it does, try lifeguard instead of WinDFT.

If it doesn't, try another drive - just in case the first one has failed.

Message 9 of 14
nrobinson1
Aspirant

Thank you Stephe, that has worked, Life Guard is now scanning the first drive...

I'll let you know what the results are when I have done all for - I may be sime time...

Message 10 of 14
nrobinson1
Aspirant

So all four drives have passed the LifeGuard disk extended test.

Do I trry reinstalling all four drives or do I justt install 3 at a ime and see if it boots?

-234, then 1-34, then 12-4, then 123-  doing a proper shut down between each?

Or seeing as they all passed okay do I re-try installing all four?

Should I try to update the NV+ firmwear before I put the disks back?

Thanks for your continued help and input!

Nik.

Message 11 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi nrobinson1,

You cannot update the firmware without disks inside the NAS.  Since all four drives passed the extended test, you may insert all four drives and check if the NAS boots up just fine.  Check if you can still access the data stored in it.  Then observe, if the Kernel Panic message appears again.  

Also, if you are able to access the data stored in your NAS, the first thing to do is to make sure to back up all of it right away for safety.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 14
nrobinson1
Aspirant

Thanks everyone - this seems to have worked. 

Memory chek was fine - individual disk checks were fine, and then, when I re-installed the drives the NAS started up fine. did a re-sync and it looks like Disk 2 is on its way out - up to 370 errors now I think. but I'm back up and running, and I have updated my backup since the re-sync -so all okay now.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Just to summarise:

On Kernal Panic

1. NAS wouldn't shut down so had to pull plug.

2. removed all drives and did a memory check by holding power button until the memory check option showed.

3. used LifeGuard to perform extended check on each drive (~8hrs per 1TB drive)

4. Reinstalled all drives in correct order and started NAS up

5. Performed re-cync on volume

6. Made sure my back up of the data was up to date!

Thanks once again - Nik.

Message 13 of 14
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi nrobinson1,

I am very glad that everything is alright now. 🙂  I appreciate the you share your concerns and experience here in the community.  🙂

Feel free to post your future concerns.

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements