× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Kernel Transaction Manager renaming

atoner
Tutor

Kernel Transaction Manager renaming

I'm trying to use Fast Picture Viewer to view and edit images stored on my ReadyNAS Ultra from a Windows 7 client.

FPV has a feature to rename viewed files based on a user rating, e.g. {3}IMG0001.JPG where {3} is a rating on a scale from 0-5. When trying this, FPV throws up an error "Cannot rename [file path]. Please verify that the target media or device is writable and that you have proper write permissions. 0x[lots of 0's]". I can rename files just fine in Windows Explorer. I've checked file and folder permissions. Further, FPV can create new files in that same directory on the ReadyNAS and it can also write metadata into the files. It just can't rename.

The FPV author mentioned the following:
"
FastPictureViewer uses the Kernel Transaction Manager, a feature introduced in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, to perform certain file and registry operations atomically.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 86748.aspx

Your NAS may not be as 100% Windows-compatible as it appears to be, and perhaps does not support file-system transactions?
"
He then suggested a registry change to disable KTM. I applied the change, and it worked.

What's up with the ReadyNAS? I'm running 4.2.19.

Thanks,
Adam
Message 1 of 3
atoner
Tutor

Re: Kernel Transaction Manager renaming

Anyone with knowledge of the KTM and ReadyNAS?
Message 2 of 3
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: Kernel Transaction Manager renaming

As the article you quote states:
TxF allows transacted file system operations within the NTFS file system.

No ReadyNAS employs NTFS internally
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements