× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN Connection Help ReadyNAS 204

EcstaticBrick
Aspirant

LAN Connection Help ReadyNAS 204

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask. I need a little help a issue I am having with my local network.

I have a very unreliable internet connection. I can lose my connection 2-3 times a day. When the connection drops, I lose whatever connection I had the the nas. So say I am watching a movie or listening to music on my Nvidia Shield TV, when the router reports no connction to the internet, the movie or music stops playing and I get a unable to connect to library message.

My set up is quite simple: Sky Q router, 3X Nvidia Shield TV's, 2 PC's, Various games consoles all routed through Netgear GS116UK 16 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: LAN Connection Help ReadyNAS 204

@EcstaticBrick wrote:

So say I am watching a movie or listening to music on my Nvidia Shield TV, when the router reports no connction to the internet, the movie or music stops playing and I get a unable to connect to library message.

How are you accessing the ReadyNAS?  SMB/NFS, DLNA, Plex?

FWIW, my NAS and media players are connected through ethernet switches.  The media players access the NAS shares directly using SMB.   I can turn off the router during playback, and the video keeps playing - that's because the switches are routing the video at layer-2, and the packets never reach the router.

Message 2 of 8
EcstaticBrick
Aspirant

Everything is shared via NFS. Could that be a the issue

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@EcstaticBrick wrote:

Everything is shared via NFS. Could that be a the issue

I don't think so.  Are your media players and the NAS both connected to the switch?

Message 4 of 8
EcstaticBrick
Aspirant

Yes. Everything is connected to the switch. Nothing is directly connected to my router

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Try playing a movie, and then disconnect the cable between the router and the switch.  Check if the movie continues to play or if it drops.

Message 6 of 8
EcstaticBrick
Aspirant

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Work keeps getting in the way.

Yes, Watching a movie and pulling the router from the switch causes a loss of connection to the nas.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@EcstaticBrick wrote:

Watching a movie and pulling the router from the switch causes a loss of connection to the nas.

Interesting.  It shouldn't, since the switch should be delivering the packets directly from the NAS to the media player (using the destination mac address in the ethernet frames).

If you are connecting NFS with the NAS hostname, can you try the NAS IP address?

Also, can you try disconnecting the WAN connection of the router (leaving it connected to the switch), and see if that also disconnects?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements